General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night rod for city traffic - or sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 06:33 AM
RexD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Night rod for city traffic - or sportster?

Hi, I'm about to trade in my old BMW from 1980 for a Harley.

I'm trying to decide between the more expensive night rod or the more affordable sportster.

Could someone with experience from the rod tell me how it handles in city traffic?

My driving needs:
I ride around the city in Copenhagen, visiting clients and parking it everywhere. And then I go on an occasional (rare) longer ride. I take my son to school - a short 10 minute ride. Once a year, I take it to the tracks for a brush-up weekend with instructors, improving my riding skills.

On the one hand, the sportster seems obvious because it seems more nimble to park in the city and agile in city traffic - and is more affordable. And the foot position makes for fun active riding on the occasional track run. However, it appears top heavy and people seem to be complaining about it shaking and being uncomfortable.

On the other hand, the night rod appeals with its smooth engine. I don't know if an occasional track run will be possible on it?

I would be grateful for any input.

Thanks

Rex

Old 04-01-2015, 06:51 AM
rbert0005
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Sportster sounds like a pretty good fit for you.

Bob

Old 04-01-2015, 06:55 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Is it really a good idea to visit customers on a Harley? I mean, that would distract all the employees every time you arrive and leave.

If you really want a Harley, then I suggest to take both models you are interested in for a test ride. You will know if it handles to your riding style better than anybody else here.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:59 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry cant help with the night rod but I own a sportster and live in the uk and most (85%) of my riding is in town/city and the sportster is ideal for that!
I recently was looking at changing mine to a dyna street bob purely because of a good deal and was thinking 1690cc engine! but after sitting on it and reading reviews I realised that the sporty is much more suited to the city. If I was more open road then defo the dyna. I have sat on some night rods and yes they are nice and would be great on open road but my opinion is not good for city riding. As for the comfort of a sportster I have standard seat and shocks and again in the city its fine, open road I will stop every hour or hour half for a stretch which I have also done when hired a road king and heritage. If you get the chance test ride both through the city and see what you think?? Best of luck whichever you choose.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:24 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by RexD
However, it appears top heavy and people seem to be complaining about it shaking and being uncomfortable.
since they've rubber mounted the engine in 2004, thats a non issue. the top heavy part is true, but you'll get used to it.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:26 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,145 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Hard to answer because I don't know your body size, height, strength, etc.

However....I'd think you would want a more maneuverable bike for city riding. While the Sportys are lighter than the big twins...they are a tad top heavy...BUT...once you're rolling, they're light and you can flick 'n toss them around more easily. I would think that would be the trump for city riding.

Gotta love riding her for your job...visting clients each day...that's what I do much of the better 6 months of weather here.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:32 AM
fake
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the NRS! I miss mine bad. However, the sporty would be better suited for city riding. The NRS needs those rpms to climb to have fun. Vrods have a crazy high redline. You need to get to 5K+ rpms to get into the powerband on the Vrods.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:36 AM
RexD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your comments already. They're much appreciated.

I'm 185 cm tall (6.07 inches) and I weigh 82 kg (180 lbs).

/ Rex

Old 04-01-2015, 10:46 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The sportster engine is rubber mounted which means it will shake at idle and smooth once moving. The sportster is also air cooled and though it is a great bike it isn't the best for a lot of city riding due to the shake at idle and heat from the air cooled engine. The vrod would be better as it has a modern counterbalanced liquid cooled vtwin engine and way more power. The engine is also super reliable.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:44 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd rather have a dyna low rider or something along that line, but that's just me. There more nimble than given credit and easier on the behind

Quick Reply: Night rod for city traffic - or sportster?