General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what holds the grips on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Grovit
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what holds the grips on?

hey all.
my new grips just came. i want to change them but i cant see how/what holds them on the bars?
the left grip(the one i just got) looks like it is held on the bars by a snap ring type deal but there is no snap ring on the factory grips on the bike right now.
the throttle grip(on the new grips) looks like it just slides over the plastic sleeve and thats it.

i dont want to try and pull my old grips off if there is some little keeper that will fly off never to be found again.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The switch housing holding the grips on. The left grip is usually glued to keep it from spinning.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:05 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

The ones that I have changed are actually held onto the bars by a little lip or groove that fits into the controls when you seperate them. Once you loosen the bolts on the controls you we see exactly how.

To keep the left grip from turn and rolling on the bar it should come with some glue.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Grovit
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorido
The switch housing holding the grips on. The left grip is usually glued to keep it from spinning.
well that figures.
looks like im not changing my grips.
i dont want to have to take that housing off.
too paranoid about messing something up.

ive never been like this.
im not a master mechanic but im not a total newb either. i work on my cars and basically refuse to take them to a shop.
up until this point, if i ever needed anything worked on i would just dive in.
im paranoid about working on this harley. im not used to the feeling.

too paranoid to even try to put grips on....
kind of sucks. i really dont want to pay the labor rate at harley for something like grips.
i know if i try to do it and for some reason mess something up i will have a melt down

oh and it didnt come with any glue.
i have some gorilla glue laying around. if i decide to try it i will glue it up

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-02-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:11 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Grovit
well that figures.
looks like im not changing my grips.
i dont want to have to take that housing off.
too paranoid about messing something up.

ive never been like this.
im not a master mechanic but im not a total newb either. i work on my cars and basically refuse to take them to a shop.
up until this point, if i ever needed anything worked on i would just dive in.
im paranoid about working on this harley. im not used to the feeling.

too paranoid to even try to put grips on....
kind of sucks. i really dont want to pay the labor rate at harley for something like grips.
i know if i try to do it and for some reason mess something up i will have a melt down
TRUST ME, its nothing to it. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person on this forum and I have done several. Plus you don't actually have to take the "off".

Once you take the bolts out of it, the top and the bottom will seperate enough that you can release the grip.

Watch a youtube video on it and you will see. After watching one, I would be surprised if you don't come back and tell me how easy it looks.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You also need to make sure the grips you ordered are for the proper throttle type on your bike. Throttle by wire grips are much different than throttle cable grips.

But it's really not hard to change at all. I have throttle by wire and you just loosen the bolt in the housing and open them enough to slide the old grps off and the new grips on. You don't ahve to mess with anything in the housing to do it. Once you slide hte new grip on you just close the housing up making sure the lip of the grip is secured inside and then re-tighten the bolt. There aren't many things on the bike htat are as easy to do as the grips.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Beatz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-02-2015, 02:17 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

oh and it didnt come with any glue.
i have some gorilla glue laying around. if i decide to try it i will glue it up

Some don't need glue.

Here is another good video.

Last edited by 1BRAVO9; 04-02-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Stop thinking about taking your bike in to the dealer. You can do this! This is so simple, you will be kicking yourself when you get it done. Most of the grips from H-D DO NOT need glue. The switch housing will hold the left grip in place.

First - Ensure that you have the right grips (throttle by wire, or the older throttle cable design)

Second - THIS IS IMPORTANT. Depress your brake lever on the right handlebar and wedge a piece of cardboard into the gap at the end of the lever. This will prevent you from snapping the plunger switch for the brake lights. You don't want to break this.

Next - Remove the bolts holding the controls to the bars. Have a towel over your tank in case anything should fall. Take your time, set the bolts aside. You will have both sides hanging free in no time. The left grip is likely glued on. You might have to cut it off. Just use a box cutter and take your time.

The right grip should slide right off. If you have the throttle cable design, get some needle nose pliers, rotate the grip towards the front of the bike and remove the ferrule holding the throttle cable onto the grip. Be careful, that bastard is small and easy to lose. You need it.

Slide the new grips on, reverse the process by reattaching the throttle cable using the pliers (if needed). Re-attach the switch housings and clutch and brake levers. Make sure you don't crimp any wires.

Fire the bike up, make sure all of the switches work including all brake lights. Remove that piece of cardboard wedged into the front brake.

Step back, have a beer, admire the work you have done.

Like I said. You got this.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:33 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Both of mine are held on by the lip/groove from the control units on the bars. I never had to glue them.

Quick Reply: what holds the grips on?