General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stand back........I'm goin' in!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:53 PM
RGarcia
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stand back........I'm goin' in!

Decided I didn't want to be shackled by the stealership or even an Indy shop so I'm going to do my own 10k service. After reading all the posts here and watching a couple of YouTube videos, it seems easy enough. I had to buy a couple of tools (to take the rear passenger footrest off and the torx socket to get the primary cover off)......$1.97 each at Home Depot. The rest seems pretty simple.....lots of inspection. I likely won't adjust the clutch because it seems to be within the specs already. I'll replace the oil plug gasket and the primary ring and buy the fluids at the stealership. Anything else that might be a gotcha?

Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

The Service Manual for your bike is a big help.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:00 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

A Manual?

Old 04-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

It's pretty easy! Sounds like you're getting it nailed down. About the clutch though, adjust it this time so that you know how to do it and how simple it is for future reference. Also, do it now because, while you believe it to be within spec, you may have just gotten used to it while it became out of spec and that's why you think it's fine. You may find out it's better after you've done the adjustment.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:04 PM
RGarcia
Cruiser

Got the service manual a week after I got my bike

Old 04-02-2015, 08:06 PM
RGarcia
Cruiser

Seems like the time to adjust the clutch is while you have the primary cover off to change the fluids....right?

Old 04-02-2015, 10:05 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

You're buying your fluids at a "stealer-ship"? There's auto stores that carry what you need.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RGarcia
Decided I didn't want to be shackled by the stealership or even an Indy shop so I'm going to do my own 10k service. After reading all the posts here and watching a couple of YouTube videos, it seems easy enough. I had to buy a couple of tools (to take the rear passenger footrest off and the torx socket to get the primary cover off)......$1.97 each at Home Depot. The rest seems pretty simple.....lots of inspection. I likely won't adjust the clutch because it seems to be within the specs already. I'll replace the oil plug gasket and the primary ring and buy the fluids at the stealership. Anything else that might be a gotcha?
I guess you're a better man than I am. If I spent the next hour checking my tools, I might find a crescent wrench, vice grips, and a screwdriver or two. I never had the slightest interest in doing my own maintenance or repair work on any of my automobiles, Jeeps, or... motorcycles. Not so much as change the oil, or spark plugs, and other consumables. I have better things to do with my time, like riding, enjoying time with my wife, and other fun stuff. I would much rather pay my mechanic to deal with mechanical issues. If you enjoy doing your own maintenance, G-d love ya. I don't have the patience, interest, knowlege base, or tools, I also don't like to get oily or greasy. I learned a long time ago when my dad would try to talk me into changing the oil in the car. No thank you very much, It's just not my cup of tea. What really makes it weird is that neither of my brothers ever took dad up on changing oil either and he was a partner in a used car lot with my kid brother (12 years younger than me - I'm 71).

Ride Safe -Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca 1750's

Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

It's no big deal. With a few tools and the manual, you'll be done in a few hours.

Just take your time and make a morning out of it. I find it quite relaxing.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:50 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Lots of threads on here, where people take the wrong drain plug out. Make sure you know the right one. Be careful not to hit the crank position sensor, when taking the filter off.

Quick Reply: Stand back........I'm goin' in!