General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter 13 FLHTPI

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 06:20 PM
claytonandson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter 13 FLHTPI

decided to do the 1k break-in fluid change on my Electra glide. what the hell kind of wrench do I need to get the oil filter off? it is buried between oil cooler lines and primary sensor. I tried the HD end cap type with the cut out for sensor, filter too tight ( wtf do they use at York to tighten them on ? )....it just rolls right off the filter contours. went to NAPA and got a close quarters 3/8 ratchet type, wont fit....I have been given several radical methods to get it off,. but what do I use to install new one, other than ordering a K&N 3/4" lug type filter.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:08 PM
13RKC
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I use the HD filter wrench. Mine wasn't too difficult to remove the first go-around when it was the factory's install. Maybe try a longer ratchet or breaker bar to get more leverage?

Old 04-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Get yourself a set of channel lock pliers and crush the filter just enough to get a purchase on it and go from there. Works every time.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I use the HD one with the cut out to remove and replace. 3/4 turn after contact with the gasket. I've never had trouble removing a filter that I put on, but the MOCO and the dealer use a little more force I guess.

If you can get another set of hands, get one on the strap wrench and one on the HD end cap wrench. Once you've moved an inch or so it'll come off.

Otherwise you can do the old drive a screwdriver through the filter trick...But I would still have another person cranking on the end cap filter.

The K&N filters do make life easy.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I have used channel locks, and extended head pipe wrench, strap type filter wrench, and when really stuck....a screwdriver right through the sides. Sorry you are going through this from the factory. When you finally get it off make sure you check the adapter where the filter spins on. It may loosen up on you and will leak later. You can tighten it with the head of a 1/4 inch bolt or find a hex to fit it. I think its a 7/16th hex.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:16 PM
wide glider
Road Master
Received 1,126 Likes on 344 Posts

Only once have I run across a filter so tight that the cup type filter wrench slipped under force. What I did was place a couple of shop paper towels over the filter first and then tapped the socket on. This provided a more snug fit and I used a breaker bar for extra leverage. This method broke it free but damn it was tight. This was on a used bike I purchased and I'm guessing someone installed the filter dry (maybe even with tools?) without a smear of oil around the o-ring first. Give this a try.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Another trick no one else mentioned:
Loosen the bolt that secures the crankshaft position sensor, and pull the sensor out and move it aside.
Then an ordinary filter wrench will fit.
Just remember to put the sensor and bolt back in afterwards!

Old 04-04-2015, 09:54 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 961 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by claytonandson
decided to do the 1k break-in fluid change on my Electra glide. what the hell kind of wrench do I need to get the oil filter off? it is buried between oil cooler lines and primary sensor. I tried the HD end cap type with the cut out for sensor, filter too tight ( wtf do they use at York to tighten them on ? )....it just rolls right off the filter contours. went to NAPA and got a close quarters 3/8 ratchet type, wont fit....I have been given several radical methods to get it off,. but what do I use to install new one, other than ordering a K&N 3/4" lug type filter.
Hand tight is all you need! Don't make it the same problem again by using a wrench or whatever to put the new filter on!

Old 04-04-2015, 02:02 PM
Bsh Plz
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use "The Wench" to loosen and my hand to tighten.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bsh Plz
I use "The Wench" to loosen and my hand to tighten.

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Oil filter 13 FLHTPI