General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob rider and I bought a Night Rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 11:05 AM
gpino001
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noob rider and I bought a Night Rod

Hi everyone, like the title states am a first time bike rider. I purchased a 2013 nightrod, went in thinking 883, but couldn't resist. Anyhow, my previous biking experience consist of the motorcycle training course. Any tips for a new night rod rider, such as cruising speeds/gear, turning tips, braking, what not to do on a night rod? Any help is appreciated, btw, i am fully loaded with safety gear, so thats not an issue.

edit 1 :I greatly appreciate all the feedback so far. There's a fairly empty street route by home, gonna go gear up (miami weather, its gonna be hot lol) and go now. Keep all the feedback coming, thx again.

edit 2: Just got back, went well. I didn't get passed second, night rod can go pretty quick in second lol, and ran out of road. Felt good, am 36, I've been missing out. Better late than never.

eidt 3: By fast I mean was going like 35mph, lol, fast for me at the moment. Anyhow felt the need to clarify cause some a$$hat decided to troll that part of my post.

Last edited by gpino001; 04-04-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Just be careful

Old 04-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,913 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Good you took the course.
Only advice I have for you is stick to empty parking lots until you have a good feel for your bike in turns, stopping, etc. please stay out of medium or heavy traffic until you have a good comfort zone established and a little bit more riding time on empty roads. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Welcome from Kentucky and good luck.

You really jumped right in.

Like Tails said..... be careful.

Don't think that can be stressed enough.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:03 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by gpino001
Hi everyone, like the title states am a first time bike rider. I purchased a 2013 nightrod, went in thinking 883, but couldn't resist. Anyhow, my previous biking experience consist of the motorcycle training course. Any tips for a new night rod rider, such as cruising speeds/gear, turning tips, braking, what not to do on a night rod? Any help is appreciated, btw, i am fully loaded with safety gear, so thats not an issue.

Wow, go big or go home, eh? I'm a big believer in rider training and continuing education, upgrade you and your understanding and your riding skills before you give too much thought to mods and changes to the bike; 'turning tips', man, that can fill volumes and it does, make Keith Code your new best friend. Throttle control, corner entry, braking, and situational awareness are the fundamentals of a good motorcyclist, from there you begin to truly develop your skill set. Spend some time with these books and DVD's and always remember, motorcycling is technique, not instinct.

You're going to have some fun starting this adventure! Welcome to the insanity...

A Twist of the Wrist Vol. 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding: Keith Code, Doug Chandler: 9780965045025: Amazon.com: Books A Twist of the Wrist Vol. 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding: Keith Code, Doug Chandler: 9780965045025: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: A Twist of the Wrist II: Keith Code, Chief: Movies & TV Amazon.com: A Twist of the Wrist II: Keith Code, Chief: Movies & TV

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques, 2nd Edition: Lee Parks, Erik Buell: 9780760343449: Amazon.com: Books Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques, 2nd Edition: Lee Parks, Erik Buell: 9780760343449: Amazon.com: Books

https://www.ridelikeapro.com

Old 04-04-2015, 12:13 PM
gpino001
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I greatly appreciate all the feedback so far. There's a fairly empty street route by home, gonna go gear up (miami weather, its gonna be hot lol) and go now. Keep all the feedback coming, thx again.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:36 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by gpino001
I greatly appreciate all the feedback so far. There's a fairly empty street route by home, gonna go gear up (miami weather, its gonna be hot lol) and go now. Keep all the feedback coming, thx again.

I"m from Florida, I know exactly what you're saying but remember, sweat washes off, road rash, not so much

Take your time, start easy so you can develop a feel for the clutch friction zone and don't forget that the bike goes where you look, keep you head and eyes up. Many riders' survival reactions run wild when it comes to the throttle but the throttle is your friend, nothing else can stabilize the bike be it in a sweeping curve or performing slow speed parking lot exercises...

Oh, and don't forget to have some fun while you're out there!

Old 04-04-2015, 01:05 PM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

Congrats on the bike, way to go big right out of the gate. As said already take your time and build your confidence, ridding is as much mental as it is physical. Good luck friend, your world is about to get SOOOOO much better!

Old 04-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

That's a whole lotta bike for starters. Like others have said, hit up empty lots and stay on empty or light streets for a bit to get used to the bike and to build your confidence. Last thing you need is to get in to a situation and have your confidence wane. Be careful, take it slow and have fun getting acquainted with your new bike - congrats.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:12 PM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't you know that, as a new rider, you're supposed to buy a 20-year-old (insert POS metric brand here)??

Way to jump right in, brother. My only advice...

1. Don't do stupid sh*t.
2. No one in a car sees you.

Quick Reply: Noob rider and I bought a Night Rod