General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what was it that got you into harley's..how old were you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Grovit
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what was it that got you into harley's..how old were you?

curious as to how we all came to be harley riders.

what was it for you that got you into it?

even though i just got my first harley at the age of 37, for as long as i can remember i have wanted one and told myself it would happen if i was patient. i think if my dad had not have died it would have happened much sooner.
anyway, i grew up in the middle of it. my dad was a 'biker' since he was like 15 up in detroit. ran with all the outlaw types.
my dad always had a harley. he had a panhead when i was born. after i was born he was rocking a shovel. all hid buds would come over and they all had bikes.
i was just drawn to it. i thought my dad and his buds were the coolest dudes around.
killer choppers too. not like the thug style sons of anarchy choppers. im talking the old school captain america and billy bike style.
long rakes and rigid frames.
i saw it every day.
i remember being like 7-8 years old and my reading material was all my dads old easyrider and in the wind magazines.

so that is my background.

curious as how others came to love riding.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:05 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

In my 50's. Did not mean to get into riding at all.

Just curious what it was like to ride a bike. Only going to take the riding course and that was it.

Well, once I slide into the 250cc or so trainer bike they had at MTII, I knew there was a problem........... :-) I fell in love!!!

Now I ride 1-2 times a day abt 32,000 miles a year LOVING IT!!!!!!

So it was totally accidental. And get this, it was right after my brother getting killed on a bike just a few years b4.

As Earl Nightengale used to say, "Now you know, the rest of the story.".

Great question to ask Grovit.

BuzzCap7

Old 04-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

I rode a Yamaha Venture (saddle bags, trunk & fixed fairing and exposed motor) for 20 years, for the last 15 I took the trunk off, just loved the look and the solid mounted fairing bolted directly to the frame. Over time I started to see the Road Glides set up like my bike - Hmmm "thats a good look" Started looking at Road Glides and saw the 09 RG CVO - Bingo - that's it ! Probably keep it 20 years

Have to say the look of my bike sold me - not the HD badge (sorry MoCo) glad to say my bike runs very good and the HP & Torque suit me just fine. I bought the HD when I was 53 - had a motorcycle since 20 years old & this is my 1st HD

Last edited by Cosmic Charlie; 04-05-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:15 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Rode my first street bike at 16 in 1970, was a forgone conclusion a harley was in my future just a matter of when. Got my first at 22 been on one ever since .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 04-05-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member

[QUOTE=
BuzzCap7[/QUOTE]

Was it not Paul Harvey (?) "Good Day"

Old 04-05-2015, 06:18 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

BuzzCap7[/QUOTE]

Guess you got him mixed up with Paul Harvey

Old 04-05-2015, 06:19 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by heybaylor

BuzzCap7

Guess you got him mixed up with Paul Harvey [/QUOTE]

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes "MY BAD"!!! You right!!!!! I'll go have another beer now.

BuzzCap7

Old 04-05-2015, 06:23 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

In the early 70s, I bought a used BSA Starfire. It was very orange & very loud. I rode this bike for a couple years; not really knowing a thing about motorcycles. There were a couple guys on my block that rode rice, and we became friends. They had one friend named Steve, and he was the quintessential 70s biker; looked like he stepped out of a Dave Mann painting. He was the coolest guy we knew; rode a big black AMF Electra Glide, and had more hot women than anyone we ever saw. We all wanted to be like him, and suddenly, owning a Harley became the most important thing in my life. Not wife,family,kids,house,job,school; getting a Harley became the single most important goal for me. I didn't care how, but I vowed to beg,borrow, & steal the funds somehow to get a Harley, So I swapped bikes, fixed a couple up & swapped them here & there, and as luck would have it, found a guy in the Bronx who, because of a bad back, wanted to swap his '41 80" Flathead chopper for any bike with a rear suspension. We made the deal sight unseen over the phone, and I rode my Triumph 650 Tiger up to the Bronx & we swapped. MAN; I was the happiest guy in the world that night; cruising the boulevard on my new to me HD. Biotch was loud,leaked more oil than the Exon Valdez, and vibrated like a paint shaker at Lowes. And, the front pipe kept falling out of the head. But, it was a Harley, and it was all mine!

And, 37 years & 19 Harleys later...here I am!

Old 04-05-2015, 06:25 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Rode my first street bike at 16 in 1970, was a forgone concussion a harley was in my future just a matter of when. Got my first at 22 been on one ever since .

Forgone concussion ? A Bang on the head ? That explains alot ;-)

{conclusion}

Old 04-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Brewmaster Bahb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both my parents own a Harley, my dad was HOG chapter president a number of years and director of the Wisconsin state rally a few years so I grew up around it. It was only a matter of time and money. Got my first bike when I was 22 ('78 Suzuki) and my first Harley when I was 30.

Quick Reply: what was it that got you into harley's..how old were you?