General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice re route from Denver to Rapid City

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 07:05 PM
scottylj
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Advice re route from Denver to Rapid City

Hello from down-under!

I'm from Australia and I'm lucky to be headed to the 75th Sturgis event.
Starting from Eaglerider Phoenix, I'm overnighting in Albuquerque then onto Denver where I'll stop overnight in a hotel near Denver Int'l airport. From there, it's onto Rapid city.

I've had a look at a few routes for my trip to Rapid city where I'll be staying for 11 days and I can see three alternatives; I was hoping for some pro's and con's from anyone familiar with the journey.

The options from google maps are:
I-76 E & US-385 N
I-25 N & US-18 E
US-85N

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice.

Scottylj.

Attached Thumbnails Advice re route from Denver to Rapid City-screenshot-2015-04-06-16.10.42.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

When leaving from Denver, strongly consider making a local swing through Estes Park on your way.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 PM
scottylj
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
When leaving from Denver, strongly consider making a local swing through Estes Park on your way.
Thanks Paul,

Looks to be a fine reason to detour and then take the I-25.

Cheers!

Old 04-06-2015, 07:24 PM
High Roller
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Only if he wants to lose a day battling the heavy summer tourist traffic. Estes Park is a zoo in summer.

Of the 3 choices, I highly recommend the blue route. It's the fastest, and will boast at least as much scenery as the other two.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:30 PM
scottylj
Cruiser

Originally Posted by High Roller
Only if he wants to lose a day battling the heavy summer tourist traffic. Estes Park is a zoo in summer.

Of the 3 choices, I highly recommend the blue route. It's the fastest, and will boast at least as much scenery as the other two.
Thanks High Roller,

I will be there on a week-day but I'm happy to hear that the scenery is nice on I-25

Old 04-06-2015, 08:20 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Yeah, take I-25,, the eastern route is flat prairie and rolling hills, pretty boring stuff.
I-25 isn't a lot better North of Cheyenne but you'll keep Laramie Peak on your left for awhile and see more wildlife like Antelope/Mule deer and private Bison herds.
I'd actually go north too New Castle then east through the Black Hills to Rapid City.

Last edited by JohnMn; 04-06-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done both the left-hand routes on the map to Rapid City. I've also done the 76 to 385 route to head up to NW NE...I strongly recommend avoiding that route at all costs. It goes through some of the worst land and poorest communities in this area of the country.

You'll end up doing a lot of riding through the black hills while you're in Rapid City for the rally, but you could always add a stop at Rushmore, Jewel Cave, or Wind Cave into your day from Denver to Rapid City...it will break up the monotony of the ride. It's a pretty boring ride otherwise...and usually very windy.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I've done all 3 routes. 85 North out of Cheyenne is a good compromise as it gets you off the Interstate quickest.
I-25 North to the Guernsey exit, through Guernsey to HWY 270, North on 270 to HWY 20 to Lusk then North to Mule Creek Junction is a nice alternative.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:34 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Forget those routes. I-25 north to I-80 east at Cheyenne. East to Kimbal,Nebraska,then north on 71 up the Panhandle to Scott's Bluff,then up to Fort Robinson.Where Crazy Horse was murdered.You can either stay on 71 up to Hot Springs,S.D. ( a great ride) and jog east to 385 there,or head over to Chadron,and catch 385 north from there.The Panhandle country is rugged and scenic. 1-25 will put you in a coma. Don't screw with the Buffalo,they will jack you up.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:00 AM
High Roller
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottylj
Thanks High Roller,

....but I'm happy to hear that the scenery is nice on I-25
Well I didn't exactly say the scenery is nice. I just said it's at least as nice as the other two routes. To be clear, there's very little to look at for the first 2/3 of the trip.

Estes Park has no weekends. From late May to early September, the entire area surrounding (and in) RM National Park is overrun by hordes of vacationers from all corners of the country. When you go to Sturgis you're on your way to a traffic jam in the mountains. Not sure why you'd want to take a detour to see another one on the way there.

Quick Reply: Advice re route from Denver to Rapid City