General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are logger boots too much boot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:50 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are logger boots too much boot?

I have always worn square toe, pull on harness boots for riding and they have been fine for that purpose. I don't wear them for much else, and frankly I don't feel like they're good for much else. I would like a riding boot that is a better boot off the bike. Something that I can stomp through the woods in if I so choose. I have seen a lot of you guys recommend various logger boots. Seems like a fine multi purpose boot, but I wonder if they can be too bulky when riding;
specifically the shape of the toe and thickness of the soles. Has anyone tried riding in logger boots and not liked them? I'm riding a Road King with floorboards and I have already removed the heel shifter. I don't have particularly big feet, probably about a size 9 boot. I like the idea of these boots, but I don't want to invest a few hundred bucks and find out they aren't practical.
My other question is about steel toe boots. My current riding boots aren't, and that's been fine, but I've also never crashed(knock on wood). Have any of you had any personal experience with a boot being rubbed through where a steel toe would have been a benefit, or experience where a steel toe did protect you in a wreck?
I don't want this to turn into a Brand x vs Brand y boot thread, but hope you have some feedback on my questions. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:57 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Check out Chippewa's IQ line of boots. Uppers are basically logger style, but they have a more standard work boot sole/tread pattern. Their website isn't really easy to navigate/find what you want, but these are what I wear for work all the time, and ride in frequently. Use a heel/toe shifter on my deluxe, but these were fine with the toe shifter on my Sporty.

http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwea...or-boots/55025

No crash experience to speak to steel toe protection.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Scorp76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear logger boots and also ride a RK. I'm a size 11 and I would have to say I have no problems with shifting with them. The heel shifter can sometimes get in the way but I ride a lot on the highway pegs.

They're also quite comfortable when not on the bike and I have done a lot of farm work with them. Only problem I do have is they don't breathe well but they have kept my feet warm riding in 20 degree weather at highway speeds.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I wear the Made in USA 8" Danner Quarry steel toe work boots. I like boots that I can comfortably walk around in all day. I know they don't have the zippers, buckles, HD logos, skull pins and other fancy additions that a lot of you people like to wear when you ride, but since I wear them all day at work I figure why not wear what's actually comfortable instead of some plantar faciitis inducing chinese made Schwarzenegger Terminator boots.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:34 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

"Logger Boot" is just a generic term for a lace-up/steel toe/tall upper boot.
If you've never had a pair of lace-up boots with 8-9 inch uppers you'll find they are kind of a PITA, tall uppers are made for extra support traversing uneven terrain, they help minimize unexpected ankle twists and turns.
I wear steel toes for my factory work, most of them today aren't steel anymore, just a lightweight composite toe insert. I prefer 6" uppers, easier on/off.
Steel toes can expedite wear at the toes but that's directly related to the work done, concrete/roofing guy's on their knees a lot, kicking pallets around in a warehouse,, but if your not doing that they can last for years like the rest of the boot,, most gear shifting is done just behind the insert with the forward part of the boot, not the "toe" itself. (no problem there)
If you do choose a steel toe boot here's a tip: The Toe will not "break-in" to your foot, it stays the same,, so you need to buy a steel toe boot that fit's before you walk out the door.
I'm kinda looking for a pair of riding boots too, but they won't be 9" lace up,,
and "must be steel toe",, is not on the list.
If I find a pair I like that fit's and they happen to be steel toe that's OK with me, but I don't see a need for steel toe in a riding boot.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:52 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

A true "loggers boot" has an upper that measures about 12" tall. They're a pain to lace and unlace all the way and get extremely hot in the summer.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:17 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I would recommend looking into a nice trail boot like an Asolo, or Lowas. I ride in them, I hike in them, I cut trees and do yard work in them, I've even done what I do best while wearing them. They make great all round boots, but they don't look like something a "biker" would wear, if that's important to you.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Been down a couple of times at high speed. Steel toes aren't worth a crap for riding,they chill your feet. And they won't do a damn thing for you in a wreck.Another internet myth. Logging boots? Gimme a break. Boots with laces half way to your *** don't belong on a motor. Russel Riders,with 800 gram insulation in the footbed,been working for me for 35 of my 50 years riding. Plenty cool in summer,and warm in winter.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:35 AM
glide5904
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I like a boot that is comfortable to walk around in. In my opinion, steel toe isnt a must have. Nor is a really high upper. I like a 6-8 inch upper with a really grippy tread. It's no fun having your boot slip at a stop light.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:50 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by glide5904
with a really grippy tread. It's no fun having your boot slip at a stop light.
Darn Good Point!

Quick Reply: Are logger boots too much boot?