General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding and low back pain.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Phil from Barrington
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding and low back pain.

This should get some traction. How many of you have back pain that you can't get rid of? If you're anything like me, you've tried everything on earth. I've had a broken back, ruptured disc, radical invasive surgery, and have been to every kind of healer out there with every kind of treatment, and my back pain has persisted.....up until 2 weeks ago tomorrow. The OL and I were in New Orleans enjoying some Bourbon St. activities. On Thursday the 2nd, we decided to go to the WWII museum, as it was a lousy day for outside stuff. We decided to walk, about a 2 mile trek, which I said I could make with a few stops to let my back, hip and groin recover. Got about half way and I couldn't walk any further. OL says, 'how bout a taxi'? I say, 'no f'ing way, I'll be fine in a few minutes.' Well, I wasn't fine after taking the next few steps. Just waaay to painful to walk any further. So, I decided to try something out of the box and wicked simple. I reached down and pressured the nerve behind and slightly below my right knee (just like the device known as the Be Active Brace does) and voila, pain gone. Yes GONZO!! I couldn't believe what I wasn't feeling. I spent the entire day on my feet in the museum, and the next 2 days wondering around Bourbon St. with no issues whatsoever. Since coming home that Saturday I've been massaging the same spot on my right leg (my pain was on the right) and I've had no pain. Please try it if you're suffering and can't get your leg over the seat, or you experience hip pain while riding. It works. All I ask is your results here on 'The Forum'. Kill the pain, enjoy the ride. That is all.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I've had an L5 herniation fixed twice and finally fused on the 3rd and have been pain free since. But what I've found is that stretching is imperative to keeping it all good. Core, hip flexors, hams, glutes all connected and all critical to back health. I've found that pressure point behind my knee caused by the sciatic nerve involvement. Keep that baby gently stretched out. I also use a foam roller. Keep doing what your doing if it works!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:42 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for advice. I blew out my L-5 3 years ago. I'm not at the point where I need surgery, and I'm hoping I can avoid it. So far, so good. Yoga and losing 45lbs has helped me out. When I do long rides I always take the time stretch out before and during gas stops. I also don't ride with my wallet in my back pocket. Not that I'm rolling in $$$, , I just find that I sit strait without it back there.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:45 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Funny that you mentioned the Active Brace. I've had sciatic never trouble over the years and it's always went away after awhile. But during the time waiting for it to stop hurting, ouch!!!

Last December, it started hurting again and while the Active Brace was out there, I was skeptical. Sleeping was impossible too. I couldn't get comfortable because of the pain, unless I slept on my stomach, which I hate.

Finally in February, I got one. As soon as I put it on, I could tell the difference. When I took it off to shower, I had to stand on my good leg because my "bad" one hurt. I was and still am surprised how well it works. In fact, I'm still wearing it, although I don't think I need to at this point, since I've gone without it several times.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:08 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

L4/L5 back Surgery a couple of years ago...left foot was numb. Anyway, successful surgery, but also have arthritis. Stretch as others have advised every morning, don't lift anything heavy, just don't do it. Also doc suggested staying thin...less weight to carry around = less chance for more disc damage. Also, at least for me acupuncture every month.....GL-hope you get relief.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:52 PM
birddogin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well my backs been giving me a little more grief this week so ill give it a shot if it works ill post my results

Old 04-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil from Barrington
This should get some traction. How many of you have back pain that you can't get rid of? If you're anything like me, you've tried everything on earth. I've had a broken back, ruptured disc, radical invasive surgery, and have been to every kind of healer out there with every kind of treatment, and my back pain has persisted.....up until 2 weeks ago tomorrow. The OL and I were in New Orleans enjoying some Bourbon St. activities. On Thursday the 2nd, we decided to go to the WWII museum, as it was a lousy day for outside stuff. We decided to walk, about a 2 mile trek, which I said I could make with a few stops to let my back, hip and groin recover. Got about half way and I couldn't walk any further. OL says, 'how bout a taxi'? I say, 'no f'ing way, I'll be fine in a few minutes.' Well, I wasn't fine after taking the next few steps. Just waaay to painful to walk any further. So, I decided to try something out of the box and wicked simple. I reached down and pressured the nerve behind and slightly below my right knee (just like the device known as the Be Active Brace does) and voila, pain gone. Yes GONZO!! I couldn't believe what I wasn't feeling. I spent the entire day on my feet in the museum, and the next 2 days wondering around Bourbon St. with no issues whatsoever. Since coming home that Saturday I've been massaging the same spot on my right leg (my pain was on the right) and I've had no pain. Please try it if you're suffering and can't get your leg over the seat, or you experience hip pain while riding. It works. All I ask is your results here on 'The Forum'. Kill the pain, enjoy the ride. That is all.

To me, the feeling of a pain sensation is my body telling me there's something wrong. That's what that sensation is for. If we mask it, then we aren't addressing the real problem. And that problem will continue to get worse.

All my life the way to fix every ailment is exercise. Yoga, stretching, weight lifting, cardio. Different exercises for different problems. Those who don't exercise their body fall apart when they age. And no, cleaning the garage isn't exercise. Exercise is targeted movements to build a particular part of the body.

Lower back? I'd do squats and sit ups. Start off with no weight, just to get used to the movement. Then, do squats with just the bar. Then, at a very light rate, start adding weight. But not so much that it puts too much strain on the pack.

Alternate Squats/sit ups/squats/sit ups etc.

My grandmothers boyfriend lived to 102. Used to get up every morning and climb 3 flights of stairs for exercise. No walker. He is my idol. Exercise is no guarantee, as there are none in life, but it increases your odds to a long healthy and active life.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:08 PM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with chickinonachain, I also after my last back eruption went to the GOOD FEET store instead of paying $1200 for orthodics from a dr and spent about $200 and wear those in my shoes since and wah la pain is gone..