General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1ST service.......Necessary ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:57 AM
MFC
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1ST service.......Necessary ????

So I know the actual service is a good one to get, many different points of inspection. There are a few shops around the house that offer a harley 1st service inspection. What I am curious about is it necessary to let Harley do the inspeciton, they tell me my warranty could be voided if I dont.... What if the mechanic at the local shop is certified Harley mech. does that count??

Old 04-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

If you're more comfortable with a local shop there is no reason not to use them. Save your receipt.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Dave's 1stHog
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't listen to them, you can go anyplace you feel comfortable with; you can even do it yourself. Just save your receipts for proof it was done. Good luck with the new bike.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

As Larry said above, Keep your receipt and

HERE below is a checklist of What they are supposed to do at the 1k service...

If you have an INDY do it.. Ask them if they do everything on the sheet and get a copy for your records of their inspection and their Check-offs after they have done them..

http://www.adventureharley.com/softa...nance-schedule

Last edited by oct1949; 04-08-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 PM
MFC
Cruiser

Thats what I assumed was correct that Harley cant revoke my warranty if a Certified Harley Mech. does the 1k service.....If I were to do it myself, could they take they void the warranty??

Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

They cannot void your warranty if you do your own service. Keep the receipts for any items like oil, filiters, etc. ,.
They cannot void your warranty if an indy does the service. Save the invoice.

The only reason a warranty claim would be denied is if the needed repair was due to abuse or neglect, something other than a defect in materials or Workmanship, etc...

Old 04-08-2015, 01:09 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by MFC
Thats what I assumed was correct that Harley cant revoke my warranty if a Certified Harley Mech. does the 1k service.....If I were to do it myself, could they take they void the warranty??
I have heard on many occasions that the warranty cannot be voided as long as you can prove the recommended service was actually performed. That may vary from state to state based upon state law.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:19 PM
MFC
Cruiser

I thought it was a bit out there Harley telling me that I must get it done at the dealership and pay $350 for the inspection or else the warranty will be voided was horse sh*t!!! Im giving my local shop a call, i can almost gauruntee that it will be less than 200 !

Old 04-08-2015, 01:20 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Current Warranty Language in Owner's Manual - Doesn't answer question re do-it-yourself.

"Warranty and Maintenance

Top of page

This owner's manual contains your new motorcycle limited warranty and your owner's maintenance record.

It is your responsibility as the owner to follow the maintenance schedule at the mileage intervals as specified in the owner's manual. All of the specified maintenance services must be performed on schedule to keep your limited warranty valid.

Some countries, states or other locations may require all regular maintenance and service work to be done by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for your limited warranty to remain in effect. Check with your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for local requirements.

Make an appointment with a Harley-Davidson dealer for inspection and service prior to the first 1000 miles 1600 kilometers , and as soon as possible after any problem arises.

Bring this owner's manual with you when you visit your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer to have your motorcycle inspected and serviced.

Have the dealer technician sign the maintenance record in the owner's manual at the proper mileage interval. These records should be retained by the owner as proof of proper maintenance.

Keep receipts covering any parts, service or maintenance performed.

These records should be transferred to each subsequent owner.

Use only Harley-Davidson approved parts and accessories that have been designed, tested and approved for your model and model year motorcycle.

Use of certain manufacturers' aftermarket performance parts may void all or parts of your limited warranty. See an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for details.

Harley-Davidson authorized dealerships are independently owned and operated and may sell parts and accessories that are not manufactured or approved by Harley-Davidson for use on your motorcycle. Therefore, you should understand that Harley-Davidson is not and cannot be responsible for the quality, suitability, or safety of any non-Harley-Davidson part, accessory or design modification, including labor, which may be sold and/or installed by authorized Harley-Davidson dealerships."

"Exclusions

This limited warranty will not apply to any motorcycle.

Which has not been operated or maintained as specified in the owner's manual.

Which has been abused, neglected, misused, improperly stored, used "off the highway," or used for racing or competition of any kind.

Which is not manufactured to comply with the laws of the market in which it is registered.

Which has off-road or competition parts installed to enhance performance, or has other unapproved modifications (even if these modifications include genuine Harley-Davidson parts and accessories that are not approved for use on your motorcycle). These modifications may void all or parts of your new motorcycle limited warranty. See an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for details.

Which has been subjected to an act of God, war, riot, insurrection, nuclear contamination, natural disasters, including, but not limited to, lightning, forest fires, dust storms, hail storms, ice storms, earthquakes, or floods, or other circumstances out of Harley-Davidson's control.

Which has been in an accident or collision or has been dropped or struck."

Last edited by warprints; 04-08-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:22 PM
SSTuner
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep receipts and complete the check list and by more beer with the money saved.

Quick Reply: 1ST service.......Necessary ????