General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Older Bike vs Newer Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:26 PM
rcthorp
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older Bike vs Newer Bike

Hello everyone, I've been reading for a while but never posted. Thanks for all the help you didn't know you gave me. I'm in a quandary and need some guidance.

I'm grading my 05 Sportster to one of the big boy bikes.

My Options:

1999 Fatboy Custom (not sure if there actually was a FB Custom that's just what the seller called it), on a 01 craft tech frame, python pipes, and a windshield. 12300 miles. I figure based on KBB values I should be somewhere between 7K & 8K. I would then add hardbags to it, hopefully some used bags of another Harley.

2006 Heritage Classic with Vance & Hines pipes. Also 12000 miles. I wouldn't need to do anything to it. I would want to put hardbags on it too but that doesn't need to happen right away. Based on KBB I figure this would cost me 10K.

So really in my mind other than the age and the frame these two bikes are pretty similar. Does the extra 8 years make much difference and is there any concerns about a different frame? I don't know the story FB frame yet whether it was a project bike but I will find that out.

Thanks for the help, Happy Riding!

Old 04-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

[[ So really in my mind other than the age and the frame these two bikes are pretty similar. ]]

I don't think they're "similar". Here's why.

The 1999 has an EVO engine, correct? Seems to me that although the Dynas and Touring models got the TC88 in 1999, the TC88-B engine didn't arrive until a year or two later.

Unlike the TC88-B, the EVO motor has no counterbalancing. The 1999 is definitely going to shake a bit more.

The 2006 definitely does have the "B" motor - it will be a smoother ride.

Does the Heritage have fuel injection?
Again, you may like this considerably more than a carbed EVO model.

I'd be leery of a "custom" bike in a non-Harley frame. But that's just me. I prefer something that's still relatively close to stock...

Old 04-12-2015, 11:14 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If you get a evo all you will have time to do is talk $hit about the twinkies

Old 04-12-2015, 11:15 PM
rcthorp
2nd Gear

I was just reading about the different Harley engines and you're right the FB is the 80 cu in. The other concerns are noted.

The 06 is EFI, another good point.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:20 PM
RiverB
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you work on your bikes, or leave most everything to a dealer or mechanic? That'd be a big factor, to me.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:24 PM
rcthorp
2nd Gear

I like doing the work myself. I assume you'll tell me the Evo loves to be worked on next?

Old 04-12-2015, 11:35 PM
RiverB
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Never owned an Evo. I have an early Twin Cam (2001 Road King Classic EFI) and a brand-new 2015 Tri Glide. Both have vibration-isolated engines (and floorboards and...). Your choices are decidedly different.

I can't say without riding, but that strikes me as a great price on the 2006, relative to the 1999.

I will say that you're likely a more self-sufficient shade-tree mechanic with an older bike. I know I am.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:40 PM
rcthorp
2nd Gear

I'm kind of guessing on the pricing right now. I think 10 on the Heritage is one of those catch him in the right mood kind of prices. Looking around at listings it's just so hard to get a clear picture of used bike pricing. The 06's I've looked at range from 9 - 13.

You're right , I'd definitely be more apt to learn some new mechanic skills on the older bike.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:43 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by rcthorp
1999 Fatboy Custom (not sure if there actually was a FB Custom that's just what the seller called it), on a 01 craft tech frame
This is not a Harley. Its a custom build. Might be brilliant. Might be *****. If you don't feel qualified to evaluate it personally, or if you don't know someone who can evaluate it for you, I'd stay away.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:21 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

I love EVO Harleys, I have two, an '86 FXRC and 92 FXRT/TLE seen below. I would not recomend an EVO Softail, they were pretty crud. The engine was mounted solidly to the frame and has not counterbalancing, the suspention is not great and the cornering clearance the same. That said, you DO NOT want that '99. It's not a Harley and when confronted with repairs no one knows what parts are in it. Also, with those aftermarket "custom" motorcycles it's easier to get a divorce than to sell or trade them if you want to.
Co for the 2006 Heritage.

Quick Reply: Older Bike vs Newer Bike