General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for opinions on a Switchback for my wife's first bike.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:42 AM
HarleyJeepMan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for opinions on a Switchback for my wife's first bike.

This will be my wife's first motorcyle. She will be taking the safety course shortly and buying soon afterwards. She likes Fatboys and the Switchback and is leaning towards the Switchback. She is a tall woman (5' 10") and has long legs too. We ruled out the Sportsters and she doesn't want a Heritage since that is what I have. Can anyone let me know if the Switchback is an easier Harley to ride? Would this be a good first Harley? How is the resale? Any other thoughts or opinions on a first scoot to get?

Old 04-13-2015, 11:53 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It is sort of the red-headed step child of the harley lineup. I have seen some that people have modified & they look good. Go over to the Dyna forum & you will find lots of people with positive opinions on them.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

My wife started on a Sporty...her next bike was a Street Bob which she said was quite a bit easier for her to ride...she bought an Electraglide Classic two years ago and said it was easier for her to ride than the Street Bob....she is 5'8" and 58 years old and is a good, safe rider......my vote is for your wife to get a little experience then test ride the ones that have her interest and go from there.... sounds like you and her have some exciting times coming your way.....I'm happy for you!!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:24 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
It is sort of the red-headed step child of the harley lineup. I have seen some that people have modified & they look good. Go over to the Dyna forum & you will find lots of people with positive opinions on them.
Yes some of the guys on here have them nicely tricked....Whatever she gets remember...It dint happen without pics.... Good Luck!!!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:43 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Why not take her to a dealership and test ride one? Or whatever she likes?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM
MrsBarlow
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While the Dyna was much more easy to ride than a Sportster (for me)...

The reality is that she doesn't know how to ride and hasn't taken the course yet...so she really doesn't know what she likes yet. There's a mile of difference between what you think is great before you learn to ride and what you've figured out matters to you after you've learned.

I always vote for the "buy a cheap metric cruiser" route. If she doesn't like it she's not stuck upside down in a brand new financed bike. If she drops it, she's not dropping $16k on ground. And she'll most likely get back what she paid for the metric bike. Plus, she'll have the experience to figure out what she really likes and what is important to her.

Personally, I like the Switchback. I'm 8 months into riding and I'm ready to move up, so I've been test riding everything just to know that I haven't focused on one bike, when another may suit me better.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Switchback is the 17th new bike I've owned throughout my life and is by far my favorite. Cool Dyna bar hopper in one hand, long distance tourer in the other. In the dealership, they look dorkey. Couple mods later and they look pretty cool. Take it from a guy that gets bored of bikes quickly, I can't seem to get bored of this one. There are too many different bikes wrapped up in one. The Mustang Wide Tripper set me about 2 inches lower and back a few inches...enough to give my 6'2" long legs plenty of room. I've had the bike on several 2,300 mile trips no problem at all. And the bike is very light with tons of ground clearance. Intake, pipe and Power Commander and the 103 pulls the light weight of this bike extremely fast. Handles so good I can rip up Deal's Gap without touching a floor board. In my opinion, there is no better Harley out there. The only reason why they don't sell more of these is because of how they look on the showroom floor. If they'd put a little more thought into their initial presentation, they would be a LOT more popular.

Last edited by Thumper09; 04-13-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

A Switchback is 718 lbs.

I am 6'3", 200 lbs and glad I rode a 475 lb Vulcan 750 for my first 20k miles. Much easier to recover from the inevitable mistakes, that would take you down on a bigger bike.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:17 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
glad I rode a 475 lb Vulcan 750 for my first 20k miles. Much easier to recover from the inevitable mistakes, that would take you down on a bigger bike.
Yep.

I think 20k miles of riding in a variety of conditions is a good rule of thumb for how long it takes to really consider yourself experienced. Some will pick things up faster, some slower, but 20k is a good average. Call that three or four years worth of regular riding for most people. For some things, there just aren't any shortcuts.

Originally Posted by MrsBarlow
The reality is that she doesn't know how to ride and hasn't taken the course yet...so she really doesn't know what she likes yet. There's a mile of difference between what you think is great before you learn to ride and what you've figured out matters to you after you've learned.

I always vote for the "buy a cheap metric cruiser" route. If she doesn't like it she's not stuck upside down in a brand new financed bike. If she drops it, she's not dropping $16k on ground. And she'll most likely get back what she paid for the metric bike. Plus, she'll have the experience to figure out what she really likes and what is important to her.
^^^^
THIS

Old 04-13-2015, 03:58 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I like them to, but for 16k you would think they would put a chrome trim package on the motor instead of polished. The dealer had a trade in that had the chrome engine trim and it really looked good.

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on a Switchback for my wife's first bike.