General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabled vet looking for bike recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Fossil4Life
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabled vet looking for bike recommendations

Ever since as a young adult, I have been fascinated with motorcycles and always dreamt of owning such a machine. Unfortunately, while in the Air Force, neither time nor place ever seemed to align correctly, as I was deploying, moving to a new duty station or sent on yet another lengthy TDY.

While serving in the U.S. Air Force as an F-16 aircraft crew chief, I suffered a service connected disability: spinal disc herniation and lumbar degenerative disc disease in my back. As I age past the wrong side of 30, I am realizing that the opportunity to own my own metal is slipping away.

It is one thing to own a riding machine; quite another to be able to physically ride and enjoy the hell out of it. As I age, I am painfully aware that my condition continues to worsen, and with it, putting my hopes of one day riding in peril.

I am determined to fix this.

I've always loved Harley Davidson, a true success story, born right here in good ole USA. With that said, what bike would be ideal for a novice like myself? I'm looking to grow into this, so I would like a Harley Davidson bike that grows with me.

The only caveats I have are:

1) Ability to place both feet flat on the ground for optimal stability when stationary;
2) Provide for a comfortable riding position in which my back is in as neutral a position as possible (i.e. not hunched or humpbacked);
3) Provide for lower lumbar support to my lower back to relieve spinal pressure;
4) Provide for a comfortable, well-padded riding seat in support of my lower back;
5) Concerns for controls and handlebar style and mounting consistent to meet the above criteria

I am not looking for the fastest motorcycle, or the flashiest: I am a true newbie with zero riding experience when it comes to motorcycles.

I am looking for something that will give me years of riding pleasure, with the least amount of inconvenience to my back. Perhaps this is a tall order, in light of the above criteria, but I am confident that you fine folks will be able to provide recommendations for the perfect HD motorcycle for my needs.

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-13-2015, 03:35 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Thank you for your service. And sorry about your injury.

My advice is to start by taking the basic MSF course first. Then, do whatever you have to do to beg, borrow or steal a cheapo basic standard bike and ride it around for at least a few months.

Once you've developed a feel for riding, you can start thinking about the bike you really want.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:39 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Sorry to hear about your disability. But hopefully you'll still be able to enjoy riding. I herniated a lumbar disc several years ago, and found that the most comfortable vehicle for me to go to and from physical therapy (no surgery) was my VFR - better than a car or my other bikes.
I suggest you sit on a variety of bikes and see what feels best for you - It sounds like you may want something with mid controls. As to best "beginner" bike - no such thing. Everyone will have their own "best".
One of the best things about having a bike is shopping for one - now, once you get to the purchasing, well, that generally sucks - but its a lot of fun to shop. Happy hunting.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Buff58
Cruiser

You never said, How big a fellow are you?

You can get a touring model with a back rest that should not cause you any problems, If you can handle the weight.
Good Luck with what ever you pick

Old 04-13-2015, 03:40 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I agree with Omaha. IN fact, I think the best thing to do is to start out on a dual purpose bike, and ride some dirt. Best way to learn bike control. But take that MSF course first.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Fossil4Life
Stage II

Thank you all for your responses!

Originally Posted by 0maha
My advice is to start by taking the basic MSF course first.
Originally Posted by warprints
In fact, I think the best thing to do is to start out on a dual purpose bike, and ride some dirt.But take that MSF course first.
I have my learners permit and will be taking my MSF test next week. After that... I dunno. I don't know anyone with a bike and I really wouldn't feel comfortable borrowing or riding anyones anyway. I'm not opposed to buying used or pre-owned bikes. In fact, I'm prepared to go that route anyway.

Originally Posted by Buff58
You never said, How big a fellow are you?
I guess I left that part out, LOL! I'm 6-foot tall, 260 pounds. I love the touring bikes, they seem to be the ticket where overall riding comfort is concerned, especially for long rides, but the weight of those beasts is daunting to say the least.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:44 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

If your looking for long term a Trike might be your answer.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:04 PM
druski
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have similar issues, bulging and degenerative discs and now a herniated...I've ridden sport bikes, a dyna, and now a street glide. It really depends on what position puts the most pressure on your back. For me, sitting is a relief (luckily), so being on the bike generally relieves pressure on my back.

The Dyna SuperGlide was light and had mid-mounted foot controls and was very easy to flick back and forth. The street glide with the floor boards allows more positions to adjust your legs and feet, which can provide some relief for your back.

Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but you're going to need to head over to a dealership and sit on a bunch of bikes and take a few for test rides. If you can, sit on the bike for a few mins, not a few seconds. See how it feels when your sitting there holding on to the bars.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Take the MRF course, get endorsed, talk with other DVs.
http://www.disabledveteransmc.com/
I would test ride a few, maybe pick one used- so many people get the bug, ride a year and decide it's not for them.
Some Harley dealers have rental programs and you can rent different models on the day you want to give it a go- until you make up your mind, and it's not a huge financial investment.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 PM
opr1945
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Veriables:
1. Handle bars, high, low, forward, back. Currently I am awaiting custom made bars to fit just me! $150.00
2. seat, there are seats that move you forward, back, up, and down, and narrowed, back support raised lowered.
down. Had my stock harley seat modified to set me lower and front end narrowed.
3. driver back rests that go up, down, forward, back.
4. changing springs in front forks to raise or lower front end.
5. Changing rear shocks to raise or lower rear of bike. Lowered front and rear of my bike.
6. Tire size can also affect fitment of bike.
7. where foot controls can affect riding position and fitment.

I would suggest going to a dealership with lots of bikes and sit on a whole bunch. or find where the local HOG chapter is having dessert and introduce your self, explain your situation, lots of people will offer you suggestions, and maybe an invitation to sit on their bikes.

The above may be time consuming, and costly. If you can ask around and find someone your size with a bike for sale they made have already made it like you want it.

Good luck from USAF vet.

Quick Reply: Disabled vet looking for bike recommendations