General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any helmets similar to the Simpson Outlaw Bandit???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:19 AM
heavy_breather
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any helmets similar to the Simpson Outlaw Bandit???

Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for a long time, but just made an account so i could get your expertise on looking for a full face helmet. I really like the outlaw bandit, but unfortunately it does not come in XXL. So my big head has become a handicap. Is there anything similar looking to this helmet out there? I can't seem to find anything.

Alternativly i found the Icon Variant, and really like that one too. just not sure if it would look douchey on a 2013 streetbob with apes. What do you guys think of that? Talk to me.

Before anyone gets into the form/function stuff, i should add that i started out riding with a novelty helmet, then moved to the same helmet with DOT approval, a couple other helmets, now a full face DOT. So a bit of an idiot, but i'm evolving!

Any insight is appreciated!!! If this is in the wrong forum or anything just let me know.

thanks!

Heavy_Breather

Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
You can try http://www.revzilla.com/ They might have what you want. Good luck with your search

Old 04-14-2015, 10:03 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to a full face helmet 15 years ago. I was concerned about looks initially (full face with a Harley). I wear a full face "modular" pretty much year round except on very hot/humid days I wear my Bell 500 3/4 helmet.

Looks are important, but more importantly is fit with a full face and venting. If you wear a full face that doesn't fit well or doesn't provide enough venting you are going to hate it and not wear it and then decide full face helmets are no good.

A full face (or modular which I prefer) must fit tight. Most people buy a size larger as they think their size is too tight (when they initially put one on). A good helmet inner lining will mold to your head and eventually (a few hundreds miles) feel comfortable and just right. The one size larger will get sloppy and move which then causes a bad fit, more noise and will bobble around on your head.

My recommendation on buying a full face (or modular) is really try it on or buy from a place like Revzilla that has a return policy that is really good.

And yes, as with anything, you get what you pay for. The difference between a $200 Biltwell modular and a $850 Schuberth Modular is really telling after a few miles. Weight, size, padding, venting are important for all-day-long comfort and whether you will wear one.

I have had a number of full face modular helmets and so far for the price my $425 Nolan N104 EVO is a good compromise between top-of-the-line and bottom. However, my next full face modular will be a very expensive top-of-the-line just because I wear one almost all year round now.

A more inexpensive full face (modular) is made by HJC. Their SYMAX III and RHPA models always do well during testing for the price. The problem with HJC for me is it is a Korean company and they make their helmets more for round heads than like mine which is an oval (which is another thing you have to take into account with a full face...the shape of your head and the manufacturer's helmet shape)...lots besides looks to consider! I almost forgot...the eye port opening (the bigger the better) is important for peripheral vision so you don't have to turn your head too much. The Nolan has a wide opening. Another good thing is if the helmet shield will take a pinlock inner shield to prevent fogging...I hope you are getting the picture here. There are many things that contribute to a good (great) full face helmet that you will actually make you want to wear which is the whole point.

Just my two cents on full face helmets. I can't answer your question about a helmet like the Outlaw Bandit in XXL.

Last edited by subguy; 04-14-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I just went through this myself, I have no idea why simpson discriminates against people with fat heads! hahaha, So on amazon you can get a knock off made by a company called CRG in xxl for $90. you can also find them on ebay, same helmets for $124-180 just search bandit helmet or star wars helmet.

Name:  _57%201_zpsupeeo5so.jpg
Views: 10585
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  _57_zps7twaucnl.jpg
Views: 8699
Size:  47.0 KB

as far as the helmet itself, the vents are fake so it is a little hot on warm days, the over all quality is ok, not the best helmet in the world but not a rip off for $90. It looks cool, is relatively comfortable and is cheap, until Simpson makes an xxl it is our best option.

I was also looking into getting a xl and having someone resize the lining to xxl, I've read about this online but havent spoken to anyone about doing it, so I'm not 100% sure it's possible.

hope this helps, good luck

Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 AM
heavy_breather
Stage IV

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely check out Revzilla and their return policy. I think i'll head out on the scooter this weekend and try them on.

SpaceReapersNOLA Did you try the variant out on your bike? Did it look ridiculous? I think i'll either hit up the variant, or just go with a more plain all black helmet. If its not real flashy like that one, they all basically look the same in black. I can't say i'm sold on buying a knock off from china hahaha. but thanks for the link and photos. that is a good looking helmet.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Calavera Negra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The variant is a cool helmet, also probably breathes pretty good too.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:43 PM
heavy_breather
Stage IV

I agree it is a cool helmet. i've done some more research and asking around and it looks like the M30 bandit does not come in XXL (only up to XL)...but the outlaw bandit and street bandit do in fact come in XXL. So i'll roll with the outlaw bandit, despite its ridiculous price tag.

Thanks for the answers guys. appreciated.

breathing heavy (hahahaha)

Old 04-15-2015, 01:53 AM
OG1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Love my outlaw bandit. Have read complaints about wind leakage and noise but it seems on par with other mid grade helmets I have owned. Mine for sure seals up tight so far. Shields other than clear are a PITA to get right now though.

Also I have a big head and found Simpsons size chart to be spot on. I am a 2x or even 3x in most brands but the xl Simpson fits perfect and I ordered based on their size chart. They also include two different thickness cheek pads to get the fit dialed in.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:39 AM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I love my Outlaw Bandit....wish it had vents at the top for summer, but it looks damn cool and is Snell and DOT, so whatever

I've seen people complain about the chin vents in Winter, but that's nothing a balaclava or neck gaitor won't fix....I've ridden in 28 degrees for 100 miles that way and was fine

Quick Reply: Any helmets similar to the Simpson Outlaw Bandit???