General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I Love MOST about Living/Riding in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 11:51 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts
Default What I Love MOST about Living/Riding in Japan

Like most countries, Japan has it's good and bad points. Overall, I really have no complaints about living here. Japan has always been pretty good to me in my 18+ years living here.

But what I love MOST is that I can leave my bike just about anywhere with steering and ignition unlocked and all my gear, including my quick release iphone holder and wallet (with as much money as it can hold) on the seat, unattended for pretty much as long as I want and almost never have to worry about someone messing with/taking any of it!

Now, I have never chanced leaving my wallet with my bike, but I have dropped my wallet while riding and it turned up, money and all, at the nearest convenience store.

Just the other day, I left my helmet and other gear on my unocked bike in the middle of a sea of other bikes owned by scruffy-looking bikers and it was all still there when I got back 3 hours later.

The scary thing is, just about any thief could come along and have their pickins of some of the worlds most desireable bikes at an event like that in Japan - ULs, pans, knuckles, old Indians...you name it, you can find it at a sizeable event, here...more on that in a different thread later...

Anyway, I LOVE this country for the lack of crime, especially theft, ALONE; but there are other reasons to love (and hate Japan). A lot of other foreigners just find the reasons to hate it...

Don't get me wrong. I love my own country and I get all patriotic and nostalgic around Memorial and Independence Day, but honestly, there are too many thievin' bastards over there. I think I would worry too much to own Harley over there without good theft insurance...

Last edited by HoggyMtnBreakdown; 04-14-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:23 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

My wife has told me over and over about their low crime rate and how most "bad guys" don't carry guns, like way too many do here. So what you're saying is no surprise to me. And there's no shame in loving where you live.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:09 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Many years ago I lived in Tokyo.One day I had just collected my housing allowance ($3,000) and was walking down a busy street when I heard somebody yelling behind me,I turned around and saw this man running towards me with the envelope (and the 3K in it) that I had dropped inadvertently.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:00 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Most of the trash talkers couldn't even point to Japan on a map. LOL!

We both loved it over there.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:45 AM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
My wife has told me over and over about their low crime rate and how most "bad guys" don't carry guns, like way too many do here. So what you're saying is no surprise to me. And there's no shame in loving where you live.
It's got nothing to do with guns, (not that you can have one anyway)but the culture.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:21 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Actually, some bad guys do own and smuggle guns here, but it's generally mobsters and they usually leave the low-level civilians alone - much as it was for organized crime in the US, during the prohibition era. There was an incident recently where a couple of CEOs were gunned down in Osaka. Since it was a shooting, it seemed to be most evidently mob hits, but that is inconclusive since the shooter was never found (that I know of)...

You can also, contrary to popular belief, get a permit to own rifles/shotguns in Japan (handguns are totally illegal) and use them to hunt, but it is highly regulated and prohibitively costly, so most people just don't bother. It's a wonder why more people don't bother getting a license to drive here, either, since that is also very expensive...

Old 04-15-2015, 04:09 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Good, then stay there. God Bless The USA.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:22 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

You mean like the ornery guy above?

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Most of the trash talkers couldn't even point to Japan on a map. LOL!

We both loved it over there.

Last edited by HoggyMtnBreakdown; 04-15-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:42 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes Shane it is a whole different place when it comes to crime and safety, love it.

The bike scene is different too, nobody owns any turf, no clubs at war with each other, no one running round with attitudes, everyone is very friendly mostly and helpful just enjoying the bikes the great riding and the Harley culture.

I often leave my leather jacket helmet etc on my bike unlocked, no one steals anything or damages others stuff, no one going to try to rob you either.

Bike theft does occur though but not to the levels overseas.

Love the place, the culture and the people, and it has pretty much been my salvation.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:09 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

It's a different culture with a different view on honor...at least for more people. I wonder what the rate of drug addicts vs the normal population is compared to the US. My little town of Martinsburg, WV was recently featured in an article in Al Jazeera because of the huge heroin problem here that's also being seen in other small towns similar to ours. Just watching a facebook feed of fire and rescue scanners, you're surprised on the days you don't see calls for drug overdoses.

I've always wanted to visit Japan. My girlfriend says no after going through her radiology technician course.

Quick Reply: What I Love MOST about Living/Riding in Japan