General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it me or

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:43 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Is it me or

Is it me or are folks being unrealistic. Been looking for a used deuce or softail custom to buy and build out.
people are asking 9500 for an 04 stocker. When I ask them are they willing to negotiate, they say I am just trying to get what everyone else is selling theirs for and my price is firm. Some of these bikes are not even injected.

NEWSFLASH, theirs are not selling either. They are asking way too much and you all have the ads listed for months. I went to the dealer to look at an 04 that was 9k and stock. The bike was filthy, price was firm. They said its on consignment and thats the price, no negotiating.
I have always been realistic when I sell stuff and usually it sells in a week or so.

Last year, a friend, bought a new Breakout for 19,100 out the door with a killer finance rate, why would anyone spend 9500 on an 04, when, if financed, the used loan rate is 4x a new loan rate which would make the payment about the same

Fortunately I have found 2 realistic sellers and I will be checking out the bikes tomorrow.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 AM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like you have been looking at Craiglist for used bikes. I know the about 98% of the sellers on CL around me are completely delusional about what they think their bikes are worth.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:57 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Generally, people feel that what they have is worth a lot more than its actually worth to the rest of the world.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Did you ever stop and think that a bike not being injected is worth more given that there are less things that could go wrong with it?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

You're right. Bikes priced high on Craigslist don't sell. I have two for sale right now. I have my '02 Sportster listed at $4950. Been there for a few months. The deal is, it's super clean, and it doesn't matter if I sell it or not. All it costs me is registration and insurance. I still like riding it occasionally.

The other I may have to dang near give away. A brand new 2014 Honda rebel I made the mistake of buying for my lady friend who "wanted to ride." Turns out, she's afraid to ride.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:14 PM
MrsBarlow
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my favorite quotes: Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it.

People tend to be emotionally involved when they sell items. They also don't understand when others don't don't see value in the same thing that they do, like tons of chrome, special seats, etc.

But, I will tell you one of my pet peeves is when someone thinks that newly replaced maintenance items add value.

I'll also agree that I'm seeing some people that I think are insane on CL. 90's bikes for $7-9k.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:14 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
You're right. Bikes priced high on Craigslist don't sell. I have two for sale right now. I have my '02 Sportster listed at $4950. Been there for a few months. The deal is, it's super clean, and it doesn't matter if I sell it or not. All it costs me is registration and insurance. I still like riding it occasionally.

The other I may have to dang near give away. A brand new 2014 Honda rebel I made the mistake of buying for my lady friend who "wanted to ride." Turns out, she's afraid to ride.
But whats the point if you know its not going to sell? Everyone says " I don't need to sell it" Thats good because the longer it stays on overpriced, the lower the market price goes. And when something has been on a while, folks start thinking that besides the price there must be something wrong with the bike

As for the fuel injection question, I prefer it, its more reliable and theres a reason that every bike has it now.

If your thinking its just something else to go wrong, you should be driving a tin lizzie

Old 04-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I love fuel injection also but that is because I ride up until there is ice on the roads.

The reason why fuel injection is on all cars and motorcycles is due to the EPA.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

They are looking at KBB and seeing it RETAILS for $9100 and figure all the goodies add to that. Realistically bikes that sell are somewhere between trade and retail. Trade on a 04 Deuce is still $6700.

MrsBarlow, retail on late 90s bikes is still around $7000 so same theory, they ask KBB retail. You have to remember there were probably twice as many Harleys made in 2004 as there were in 1994.

Look at earlier models, people aren't as crazy on price and the 00-02 engines are better anyway.

Here's a few Deuces under $7k:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...m=121620910183

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...m=151646084113

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...m=271832929916

You're gonna pay more for a soft ail custom (FXSTC). They were not made from 2000-2005. But they are still out there for under $10k.

Here's an 08 FXSTC for less than they want for the 04.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...m=201330091970

Or how about a 2012 FLS converted to look like a Train for $9k?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...m=131486007647

They are out there, just maybe not in your neighborhood.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:56 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

and you also have the flip side. you have a lot of unrealistic buyers. 'i want the cvo with 20 miles, and i'll give you $50 for it'.....

Quick Reply: Is it me or