General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not so cool...jagg 10 row upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:04 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default Not so cool...jagg 10 row upgrade

My TriGlide tends to run hot. Measuring engine oil temp, via the HD digital dipstick thingy it was not unusual to exceed 300 in stop and go traffic in hot weather. So, my changes in the past included Wards Fans... That based upon my unscientific data seemed to reduce temp by 20 to 30 degrees. With these turned on I never exceeded 260 oil temp and never went into EITMS.

But, I figured I needed more. So, I just installed the Jagg 10 row oil cooler with fan. I kept the Harley adapter and connected the fan to the aux switch.

I took a test ride today. Both the Wards and Jagg fan on. Ambient 80 degrees, speed between 25 to 35, revs averaged 2,500. Some stop and go traffic. But typically moved around 30. Except there were a few 50MPH spots, that I got on it and shifted at 4,000. So... Anyhow... After 20 miles I checked the oil temperature. 267 degrees??? WTF? I was better with just the Wards fans. This doesn't make sense...

Confused in Carlsbad...

Old 04-17-2015, 05:42 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to be remedial, does the cooler have a bypass and is it open?

Old 04-17-2015, 06:30 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Did you add any oil to compensate for the oil in the cooler and associated lines? Did you verify that oil is flowing through the cooler?

Last edited by monkeyboy22; 04-17-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I really haven't looked at trikes too much. I have quite a bit of experience with high performance air cooled VWs. They have the same type of issues.

So, a question, then a statement....
Does air flow thru the bodywork of a trike or is it bottled up behind the motor?

The reason I ask is because for an air cooled motor to cool, air has to move over it. This would be especially true of the oil cooler.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:41 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
Not to be remedial, does the cooler have a bypass and is it open?
Good question. I purposely did not install the Jagg adapter thatbhas a thermostatically operated bypass valve because the least of my concerns was allowing the oil to heat up.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:46 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by monkeyboy22
Did you add any oil to compensate for the oil in the cooler and associated lines? Did you verify that oil is flowing through the cooler?
Yes, it took just a few ounces to top it up.

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
I really haven't looked at trikes too much. I have quite a bit of experience with high performance air cooled VWs. They have the same type of issues.

So, a question, then a statement....
Does air flow thru the bodywork of a trike or is it bottled up behind the motor?

The reason I ask is because for an air cooled motor to cool, air has to move over it. This would be especially true of the oil cooler.
Good questions. One of the issues with the trike is that the rear end prevents a good flow of air over the motor. To help alleviate this I have removed the lower fairing vent covers, and typically aim the batwing vents toward the motor.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Mickey Shane
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Good question. I purposely did not install the Jagg adapter thatbhas a thermostatically operated bypass valve because the least of my concerns was allowing the oil to heat up.
Without the thermostatically operated bypass value being used, I doubt that the oil is sitting in the Jagg cooler long enough to get cooled down.

Remember when we used to switch out the thermostat in our cars seasonally? If it got stuck in the winter, we would just break it open with a screw driver.
We would get reminded in the spring that it needed replaced because our auto temps would get too hot.

Same principal. The free flow of water/antifreeze through the radiator wouldn't allow the mixture to cool down.

Your oil needs more time in the Jagg cooler. Install the thermostat.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:45 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mickey Shane
Without the thermostatically operated bypass value being used, I doubt that the oil is sitting in the Jagg cooler long enough to get cooled down.

Remember when we used to switch out the thermostat in our cars seasonally? If it got stuck in the winter, we would just break it open with a screw driver.
We would get reminded in the spring that it needed replaced because our auto temps would get too hot.

Same principal. The free flow of water/antifreeze through the radiator wouldn't allow the mixture to cool down.

Hmmm...interesting perspective. In the terms of my Japanese ex- business partners "must study".

Old 04-17-2015, 11:26 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

I thought the thermostat stays shut until the fluid got to temperature, then it opened, free flowed the fluid through cooler until fluid cooled enough to close the stat and it repeats

Old 04-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

This isn't correct. The thermostat keeps oil from ENTERING the oil cooler.

Quick Reply: Not so cool...jagg 10 row upgrade