General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Censorship?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:07 PM
GAFLHRC
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley-Davidson Censorship?

Has anyone noticed how much Harley-Davidson has been censoring reviews and questions posted on its web site? I understand that the web site belongs to them, but such censorship certainly does not make for an accurate depiction of their products. For example, I recently attempted to take issue with two Harley-Davidson products (passenger floorboard covers and a 1/2 helmet) via online reviews for what I felt were the product's poor quality and, despite the fact that their marketing efforts make a big deal out of the American heritage of Harley-Davidsons, the fact that the products were actually made in China.

I certainly understand a company’s right to make their products in China to reduce costs, but they shouldn’t then charge a premium price for a less than premium product! Moreover, in my estimation, it’s entirely improper for Harley-Davidson to invoke their “American Legend” mantra and cloak their products in patriotism when they are made in China (or anywhere else, for that matter). In at least one case (the helmet), the Chinese origin of the product was a blatant contradiction of the patriotic marketing on the outside of the product’s package (for example, the box read “An American Legend” and “Genuine Harley-Davidson Quality Since 1909” when the product was made in China).

I attempted to address the foregoing issues (both quality and origin) in reviews on the Harley-Davidson web site for the two separate products, but Harley-Davidson's post reviewers would not let me make any reference to the origin of the products in my posts. I tried no less than a dozen times to post the reviews in various iterations (i.e., I changed the references from “made in China” to “imported”) and they still would not approve the reviews. Thereafter, I attempted to inquire about the origin of other products (in an attempt to avoid purchasing another imported part) and HD would not even let me ask such a question! This was despite the fact that there is no such limitation in the terms of use that govern such posts.

Hey, I am old enough to remember the backlash Harley-Davidson experienced when they attempted to put a Japanese-made oil cooler on their bikes in the early 80’s. When did we get to the point when our “American Legends” were made from less-than quality parts made in China? More importantly, when did this become acceptable? I’m sure many of you will opine about manufacturing costs, margins, and economies of scale in response to this post. For you, I agree about the business aspects of foreign sourcing. But this is different. This is Harley-Davidson. This is a company that shrouds itself in its American heritage as a direct marketing tool. For this reason, Harley-Davidson, shame on you! Please let me know if you agree.

Last edited by GAFLHRC; 04-18-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

First post on a Harley forum? That's how you want to start?

Trolling.....

And there were foreign parts on them before the 80's. Big deal.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-17-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:28 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GAFLHRC
Has anyone noticed how much Harley-Davidson has been censoring reviews and questions posted on its web site? I understand that the web site belongs to them, but such censorship certainly does not make for an accurate depiction of their products. For example, I recently attempted to take issue with two Harley-Davidson products (passenger floorboard covers and a 1/2 helmet) via online reviews for what I felt were the product's poor quality and, despite the fact that their marketing efforts make a big deal out of the American heritage of Harley-Davidsons, the fact that the products were actually made in China. I certainly understand a company’s right to make their products in China to reduce costs, but they shouldn’t then charge a premium price for a less than premium product! Moreover, in my estimation, it’s entirely improper for Harley-Davidson to invoke their “American Legend” mantra and cloak their products in patriotism when they are made in China (or anywhere else, for that matter). In at least one case (the helmet), the Chinese origin of the product was a blatant contradiction of the patriotic marketing on the outside of the product’s package (for example, the box read “An American Legend” and “Genuine Harley-Davidson Quality Since 1909” when the product was made in China). I attempted to address the foregoing issues (both quality and origin) in reviews on the Harley-Davidson web site for the two separate products, but Harley-Davidson's censorship goons would not let me make any reference to the origin of the products in my posts. I tried no less than a dozen times to post the reviews in various iterations (i.e., I changed the references from “made in China” to “imported”) and they still would not approve the reviews. Thereafter, I attempted to inquire about the origin of other products (in an attempt to avoid purchasing another imported part) and HD would not even let me ask such a question! This was despite the fact that there is no such limitation in the terms of use that govern such posts. Hey, I am old enough to remember the backlash Harley-Davidson experienced when they attempted to put a Japanese-made oil cooler on their bikes in the early 80’s. When did we get to the point when our “American Legends” were made from less-than quality parts made in China? More importantly, when did this become acceptable? I’m sure many of you will opine about manufacturing costs, margins, and economies of scale in response to this post. For you, I agree about the business aspects of foreign sourcing. But this is different. This is Harley-Davidson. This is a company that shrouds itself in its American heritage as a direct marketing tool. For this reason, Harley-Davidson, shame on you! Please let me know if you agree.
I agree and do my very best to buy USA all the way, I don't care when it costs more

Old 04-17-2015, 09:32 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I buy what ever I want, rarely look where its made.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:33 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I meet many HD subcontractors here in WI. HD should state the domestic content, like the car manufacturers do.

There are very few American made helmets. I try to buy American, but I am not going to spend $1,200 for a helmet.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Blah blah blah. OP you strung together a bunch of meaningless words.

If the floor board cover (what ever that is) was not quality then identify what is not quality about it. Is it the material? Is it the durability? If it is the cost what is the cost of a competing product?

It is a world economy and has been for many decades and will grow more so every year.

An American Company is one that is incorporated in the US. The origin of the content is not what a company is. If so the leading heavy equipment manufacturer Caterpillar which has had parts made all over the world for at least 50 years could not be the leader unless all the specs on each part are identical whether the part was made in India or China or France.

Parts are ordered to be made with a complete list of specs which meet the companies standards if the vendor does not meet specs they don't make the parts anymore. Certainly you have sufficient intellect to grasp that or do you?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:42 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by GAFLHRC
I’m sure many of you will opine about manufacturing costs, margins, and economies of scale in response to this post. For you, I agree about the business aspects of foreign sourcing. But this is different. This is Harley-Davidson. This is a company that shrouds itself in its American heritage as a direct marketing tool. For this reason, Harley-Davidson, shame on you! Please let me know if you agree.
No not me. I'll tell you to just go buy a Victory, then go on the Victory forums and post your rant.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:59 PM
RPMorey
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hot-T...=page_internal This is a company that had a quality product and a marketing agreement with the MOCO. Their patents expired and the MOCO decided to source the product from China. You can still get the similar product from your H-D dealer. But they no longer give free replacements when the product melts on your engine. The man that had the idea and started a company around it is out of business and forgotten. Almost! I really wish that I could get some black Hot Toppers brand bolt covers for my Night Train.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:21 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Harley has parts on their bikes made overseas? Surely you jest! Make a list of products, with multiple parts, that are 100% made in America. I'd like to see it.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Sign of the times bud , not just the moco doing it everybody with an online presence wants nice things being said about them and their products , negativity doesn't sell......

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Censorship?