General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet life

Old 04-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts
Default helmet life

There's all kinds of info on helmet testing and different standards. I can't find any on how time affects a helmets ability to protect the wearer.
Yeah I know. My head is worth a lot more than the price of a new helmet so just go buy one. I'm gonna. But this is more about curiosity. My HJC is due for replacement but I can see nothing obviously wrong with it.

Does anyone know of any research of this kind or have any experience with helmets past their "best before" date?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

3 to 5 years is the lifespan of a helmet that has been in use (sweat, direct sunlight, etc.) however some of the more expensive one (Aria & Shoei) have a lifespan of 8 years. This is due to the components used start braking down. Imagine having 2 brand new cars exactly the same. Park one in a garage and one in the direct Florida sunlight. Come back in 5 years and look at the differences in paint work.

Of course once a helmet has been in an accident, it should be replace. Also depending on how high of a drop the helmet has, it could compromise the internal structure.

A lot of times you will see brand new helmets that are heavily discounted. There is nothing wrong with them other than they are not the latest and greatest (read: color / graphics change) models.

Last edited by Next In Line; 04-24-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:51 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,980 Likes on 11,034 Posts

It's my opinion 5 years has always been the defacto product life of a helmet. That's why they have a date code on the inside. Motor officers got a new helmet every 5 years.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Either 5 years or when it smells so bad you can't put it on without your hair turning green, whichever comes first.

carl

Old 04-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to disagree with the so-called helmet "lifespan", I've yet to read of someone dying or suffering a serious head trauma from an out-dated helmet.
Logic dictates that if there is a helmet "lifespan" there would also be a helmet "out-date".
Does anyone know where that "out-date" is located? I've looked at all eleven of my helmets and haven't found an out-date yet.
Just sayin.......

Old 04-24-2015, 10:18 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,980 Likes on 11,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Not to disagree with the so-called helmet "lifespan", I've yet to read of someone dying or suffering a serious head trauma from an out-dated helmet.
Logic dictates that if there is a helmet "lifespan" there would also be a helmet "out-date".
Does anyone know where that "out-date" is located? I've looked at all eleven of my helmets and haven't found an out-date yet.
Just sayin.......
You're right, the expired date of a helmet could be a fallacy by helmet manufacturers to sell you a new helmet.
Sun, heat, cold, ozone, sweat, body oils and stink could break down the shell, padding and Styrofoam inside the bucket. No law says you can't wear a 25 yr old helmet. Only one way we will know for sure if the old bucket is any good. Kinda like wearing a frayed seat belt.

Last edited by upflying; 04-24-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I have a 45 yr old bell that still gets used on occasion.
It's better than no helmet!

Old 04-24-2015, 11:13 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
I have a 45 yr old bell that still gets used on occasion.
It's better than no helmet!
+1 Even an old helmet is better than no helmet at all

Old 04-24-2015, 11:19 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I once read where if it's dropped, it needs to be replaced. Sounds sort of drastic to me but that's what it said.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:42 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Not really sure about the life span of a helmet but a few years ago I wanted a certain style of helmet, not realizing at the time that the padding inside the helmet wasn't the best and it was also cheap but it sure looked cool at the time. I replaced that helmet, a couple of months ago, with a better quality helmet because the padding had gotten so thin after wearing it so much that it felt loose and sloppy on my head and that didn't impress me too much. This new helmet should last as long as I do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: helmet life