General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Bike Advice

Old 04-29-2015, 03:23 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default First Bike Advice

Hey everyone, this might belong in the new members area but I'd like some seasoned opinions.

I'm a 51 year old guy and haven't been on a motorcycle since high school and never put in any serious time on road or trail. I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs. I've got my permit, I'm signed up for my MSF course and I'm about to purchase a 2014 Sportster 1200 Custom. Honestly, my range isn't much above that. I looked at the 750 Street, the Iron 883, the Sportster 48 (love that one) and the 1200 C. For many reasons, including fit (especially fit?), the 1200 seemed to be the way to go.

I'm lucky enough to have a brother-in-law with a long history of Harley Davidson Motorcycles. He stopped into his local dealership (he lives on another coast) and was told a better bike for me, as a beginner, would be a Street Bob or a Soft Tail Slim. Don't get me wrong, those are beautiful bikes but out of my range. The salesperson he spoke to felt the 1200 was a bad choice for a new rider (i.e. power, touchy clutch, bad in rain, etc.). That's the first I've heard this. I've been to several local dealers and been steered toward the 1200.

Do any of you gentlemen or ladies with more experience than me (that would be everyone) have any thoughts on this? I'm probably going to be signing the final papers tomorrow to make it mine. I think I've gotten good advice from my dealer but would love to hear if anyone has any additional insight they'd like to share.

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Kcdcltd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are fine...its what you want and it will do what ever you need it to do....Take that course, find a mentor that you trust and put some miles in.......

Old 04-29-2015, 03:28 PM
tlaw
Road Captain

That's the plan. Thanks for responding. Much appreciated.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

First bikes are tricky. Some will say get some a small one to start on. But I'm not one of them. I say get what you want first and don't waste the money on a "starter" bike. I didn't.

In your case, if you like the bike you're getting, that's what matters. But at your size, I'll bet you're going to want a bigger bike, sooner or later.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:45 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

More importantly, how do you like the Sporty? For your size, the 1200 should be just fine. A friend of mine, that is pretty close to your size, traded off a very nice Softail that he had since new for the same model you are considering. He was just tired of the big bike.

The folks over on the Sporty Forum can probably give you some more real world guidance. Good luck, and post some proud owner pics.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:23 PM
tlaw
Road Captain

Thanks guys. I do like the bike and not only because it is the one I can afford although that plays into it too (I mean, there are so many great looking bikes in the showroom you can't help but dream). I also know that I'm so new to this that I'm so new to this that there is no way to completely know what I like, should like or will like so appreciate more seasoned opinions. Could I see myself in a Street Bob or Soft Tail someday? Sure. But I 'think' I could be real happy with the Sportster for years to come. Only time will tell but I'm pretty sure this is the best option for my circumstances from my current perspective.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Chriscruiser
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaw
Hey everyone, this might belong in the new members area but I'd like some seasoned opinions.

I'm a 51 year old guy and haven't been on a motorcycle since high school and never put in any serious time on road or trail. I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs. I've got my permit, I'm signed up for my MSF course and I'm about to purchase a 2014 Sportster 1200 Custom. Honestly, my range isn't much above that. I looked at the 750 Street, the Iron 883, the Sportster 48 (love that one) and the 1200 C. For many reasons, including fit (especially fit?), the 1200 seemed to be the way to go.

I'm lucky enough to have a brother-in-law with a long history of Harley Davidson Motorcycles. He stopped into his local dealership (he lives on another coast) and was told a better bike for me, as a beginner, would be a Street Bob or a Soft Tail Slim. Don't get me wrong, those are beautiful bikes but out of my range. The salesperson he spoke to felt the 1200 was a bad choice for a new rider (i.e. power, touchy clutch, bad in rain, etc.). That's the first I've heard this. I've been to several local dealers and been steered toward the 1200.

Do any of you gentlemen or ladies with more experience than me (that would be everyone) have any thoughts on this? I'm probably going to be signing the final papers tomorrow to make it mine. I think I've gotten good advice from my dealer but would love to hear if anyone has any additional insight they'd like to share.

Thanks.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong by getting onto the road on any bike you can afford. Learn to ride on something you can control. You will probably get tired of the sporty if you are riding distances, but hey, upgrade when the bug bites and you are ready for a cruiser that suits your pocket. I've recently bought a 2007 Street Bob and am very impressed with the ride... Happy hours in the saddle to you mate!

Old 04-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Im a fan of start small. Buy a used Vstar 650, shadow 600 etc. Pick it up for 2 to 3k, ride it 6 months to a year and sell it for what you paid. You won't worry about accidentally dropping it while learning and practicing your skills.

Also, you may find out riding is not for you, and since you bought cheap you get out with no financial pain. If you buy the Sporty and determine you do not like riding you will take it in the shorts to get out of the bike, or hold on to it and have money down the drain.

As far as the actually bike. I really like the 1200 sportsters and think they are an excellent motorcycle. So in my opinion that's not an issue.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Rfc
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be surprised how well you can ride in short time. I would skip the sporty and get the dyna or softail whichever you like best. I think starting out on a smaller bike is a waste of money. Find a backroad with low traffic and a parking lot to hone your riding skills. My first choice would be the Low Rider and Street Bob second. Don't be to upset when you are wanting a Street Glide or Roadie in about 6 months, just roll with it.

Last edited by Rfc; 04-29-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
First bikes are tricky. Some will say get some a small one to start on. But I'm not one of them. I say get what you want first and don't waste the money on a "starter" bike. I didn't.

In your case, if you like the bike you're getting, that's what matters. But at your size, I'll bet you're going to want a bigger bike, sooner or later.

Of course, if you're confident the 1200 is what you want, buy it. But the fact you're asking for advice on this forum makes me feel you're not all that sure. If you are leaning toward the Sportster because you think its smaller, lighter & easier to handle as a new bike, you may be disappointed. Some of the bikes the other salesperson mentioned are bigger, but because they have a lower center of gravity, they may be a better a choice for not only a starter bike, but a bike you may just keep for a long time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Bike Advice