General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mental image and reality on the future bike.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 05:14 AM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Mental image and reality on the future bike.

So far I have drawn a rough draft of what I like my bike after all is said and done look like in my mind. After I would buy the bike I made some mental mods to the bike to make it the way I want. Because I want it to have a little unique character of it own that not seen. I been poking around on the internet for ideas and these below are a few I like to use. Still looking for more though to incorporate into the dream part.

(Dream Part)Ok so here a little of what I came up so far. First thing of all I decided to chase after a blue color bike that be 95-98 (94 didn't have anything blue). I researched and found there is 2 shades used depending on year. 95-97 was States Blue Pearl (an average blue) and 98 had the Sinister Blue Pearl(more like a navy blue). Still undecided which color to pick but it will be one of the 2. Anyhow the point is I like to change the saddle bags from hard case to a dark brown leather. The bags I am thinking of in my mind would be straight and not angled like most bags. Next change the leather on the seat to match the saddlebags.
Now I like to do away with the 2 head lights that are next to the center headlight on a 3 light system. The only thing I wanted to see on bike is the big center headlight. After that move the turn signals to the neck or forks.
Thinking of adding a tach but probably not necessary. I like to add an accessory port (looks like where a cig light goes in)so I can charge something or run a tank mounted gps if necessary.
I like to change the front fender to something narrow like found on a dyna.

(Reality Part)
I began to think critically about it the mental pic afterward and found som realistic issues. Some solvable,some I ain't to sure about even if they are possible at all. Now the color combo,I not sure if the shade of brown I want would look good on a light or dark blue bike. I got ragged by my buddy for even suggesting brown. He believes brown belong on construction pouches. I mostly disregarded the comment but found it humorous at the most.(He's old and well set in his ways.)
Next the shape of the saddlebags when I said I wanted straight and not slanted. I haven't found anything close to that style for a RK. Most I found may fit a Softail in that style. Don't think there is a way to retrofit one to fit another.
Now the headlights,I don't know if that parts is possible without changing any negative side effects. I assumed there is a reason for 3 but haven't figure out what each does yet. As far as moving the turn sigs, I have an assumption that welding may have to be involved for that. I have seen pic on the net with headlights and turn sigs like that but with out a close up I am unable to determine how it was made like that.
The tach is a nice idea but how is it possible to add one to a bike that never had one????
On the fender I wonder if there such a slender chrome fender that fit over those fat tire the Rk has.

Ok ya'll I can use some ideas,reality checks,opinions...anything helpfull would be nice. The thing is how much of the dream can become reality and which cannot?

(Btw if I do this it will be gradually over the years when money is available.)

Last edited by Ozark Joe; 05-15-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:20 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

Anything is possible with enough time, money, and talent.

Get the bike first. That's my advice.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:10 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Reindeer
Anything is possible with enough time, money, and talent.

Get the bike first. That's my advice.
Well planning for beyond just buying the bike is better than squatting around than asking what now. That where the mental image drawing came in. It more about planning ahead.