General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally headed to the Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:22 AM
Harley Convert
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Finally headed to the Tail of the Dragon

Tomorrow me and 6 other bikes which include my wife, cousin and 4 friends will be leaving dirty Jersey and headed for the Dragon. We plan on doing all of Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge parkway as we head southwest.

I'm sure many of you have done this trip and I'm just looking for any suggested side trips that might be worth riding while we're riding down.

We are really looking forward to seeing this part of the country and hope the weather holds out.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:38 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 995 Likes on 326 Posts

THAT should be one awsesome ride. Have fun, ride safe...and above all

pic's, pic's, pic's...or it didn't happen lol

Have a great ride....one to remember for a long time.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:49 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

The Cherohala Skyway is actually a prettier ride than the Dragon, so don't miss it while you are in the area.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:55 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You're in for some of the finest riding this planet has to offer! I envy you. Spent about 14 years living near the Dragon and riding those roads in Western NC never gets tiring. There are two "must do" rides near the Dragon: 1. The Foothills Parkway. This runs from Townsend, TN to the beginning of the Dragon on the TN side. Many folks miss this truly great ride! 2. The Cherohala Skyway that runs from Robbinsville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:02 AM
mseymour3
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bobarosa saloon near Del Rio, TN.

Michael

Old 05-15-2015, 08:04 AM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the moonshiner 28 is also a very nice ride waterfalls very pretty.it starts right by the gas station and store for the dragon.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:06 AM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you don't meet a maniac on a crotch rocket or in a sports car in your lane in a blind curve. That place is lousy with fools like that!

Old 05-15-2015, 08:10 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I second the Cherohala Skyway and will add Moonshiner's 28. The Dragon wasn't a fun ride for me. I felt it was crowded and pushed to ride so fast that only someone who had the road memorized could be comfortable. It's definitely a "Been there, done that" kind of thing, but there are much better rides in the area.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:10 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I did the same trip you are doing and it was fantastic. Some of the most beautiful riding anywhere.

The Wheels Through Time Museum is about 5 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and is well worth stopping to see.

Enjoy your trip! Its a blast rain or shine. I did the Dragon on a fully loaded touring bike with passenger in the pouring rain and it was still fun.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:30 AM
mseymour3
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
I second the Cherohala Skyway and will add Moonshiner's 28. The Dragon wasn't a fun ride for me. I felt it was crowded and pushed to ride so fast that only someone who had the road memorized could be comfortable. It's definitely a "Been there, done that" kind of thing, but there are much better rides in the area.
I agree. The dragon is a nice ride to have done if you ride and would be great if it wasn't always packed and packed with idiots.

Michael

Quick Reply: Finally headed to the Tail of the Dragon