General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just the helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Bohemka
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just the helmet?

Over here in Europe we have no choice on helmets. Get on a bike...wear a helmet.
I know that on your side of the pond it is different on a state by state basis and I am not getting into the much spoken debate on personal choice.
But what I do find amusingly ironic are the photos of riders wearing a helmet (*protect my head.....important) but wearing a t shirt and/or no gloves? (*skin on arms not inportant if you go down?!)

Anyway...just saying. Nothing to see here. Move along

Old 05-17-2015, 11:00 AM
Thor183
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I always wear a helmet and cover my skin no matter the temperature. Sweat dries quicker then road rash heals.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:22 AM
wxmcpo
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

I have been know to wear a helmet and long sleeve shirt only when making short trips within a mile of my home, but for anything longer I always will put on my jacket. As my dad always taught me, dress for the wreck not the ride.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:29 AM
cbump
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bohemka
Over here in Europe we have no choice on helmets. Get on a bike...wear a helmet.
I know that on your side of the pond it is different on a state by state basis and I am not getting into the much spoken debate on personal choice.
But what I do find amusingly ironic are the photos of riders wearing a helmet (*protect my head.....important) but wearing a t shirt and/or no gloves? (*skin on arms not inportant if you go down?!)

Pretty easy to understand really. If the law say wear a helmet, you wear a helmet even if you don't want to. So a lot of those pics are probably people that have to wear a helmet by law but otherwise wouldn't. If they otherwise wouldn't wear a helmet, they probably aren't so concerned about their arms.

On the other hand, you have the people that don't have to wear a helmet by law but do so any way while only wearing a t-shirt. Pretty simple really - hitting your bare head equals probable death, skinning up your bare arms does not. So yeah, my head is more important than my arms.

But like you said, nothing to see here. I've barely been on this forum and I have seen this brought up multiple times by searching.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

OP, in Europe, ATGATT is a style thing like pirate outfits are here.

Starting an ATGATT debate with a bunch of American Harley riders won't change anyone's mind or what they wear or don't.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Bohemka
but wearing a t shirt and/or no gloves? (*skin on arms not inportant if you go down?!)

Then why start another frikking thread on this???

If you want to dress for the crash, wear your car!

Old 05-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Yea, I wear a full face an armored jacket, riding boots, and gloves. Even on a Harley.

But I really couldn't care less what others choose to do. I do however despise a government telling me I have to wear gear.

This is an old debate and I doubt you will win anyone over here OP. It is just how it is. People still drink and drive too, but at least not wearing gear only affects them.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I ride standing naked on the seat, waving my manhood at the world and shouting, "Where I come from a man's wealth is counted how many dead cars are on cinder blocks in his front yard."

Old 05-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

Good for you brother. Ride on!!!

Old 05-17-2015, 05:38 PM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the choice in my state. I wear a full face. My choice.

Quick Reply: Just the helmet?