General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Street Bob Won't Start! Help PLEASE!

Old 05-17-2015, 05:40 PM
ArmyBob
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Street Bob Won't Start! Help PLEASE!

Hello all,

Today was the first time I took the tank off of my new(ish) Street Bob so that I could get easier access to the neck while swapping bars and running to electrival internal... Thanks to the YouTubes and this forum, the job wasn't that bad... tedious, but not bad. After getting everything back together, all plugs plugged back in, all hoses connected, controls mounted, etc, I put gas back in the tank and go to fire it up for a test ride with the new bars and... nothing.

I can hear the starter click, I pulled the spark plugs to check for spark, all is good there. The only anomaly that I can see is the aftermarket fuel gauge, when the key is first turned, shows 2/3 of a tank which is about right, but then it immediately goes to empty. Every once and awhile it'll flash to 2/3, but then it's right back to empty.

I don't have any experience troubleshooting this type of problem, but I am very mechanically inclined.

PLEASE HELP! And thank you in advance!

Old 05-18-2015, 09:59 AM
weekender2098
Tourer

Check your fuses, also check the connector to the fuel pump
Good luck

Old 05-18-2015, 10:38 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

Don't mean to give you a hard time but how did you check the spark plugs for spark if the engine won't turn over ?
I almost guarantee you have a wire shorted to ground and it sounds like the starter switch on the handle bar. Sounds like the gas gauge is getting power and then losing it.
You need to check out all the wires you disconnected, with a multimeter.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 AM
ArmyBob
Novice
Default Found the Issue

Originally Posted by weekender2098
Check your fuses, also check the connector to the fuel pump
Good luck
Yep, turns out I accidentally stuffed the fuel pump connector back into the neck, so I had to dig it back out and once plugged in, the bike started right up.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:02 AM
ArmyBob
Novice
Default Plugs

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Don't mean to give you a hard time but how did you check the spark plugs for spark if the engine won't turn over ?
I almost guarantee you have a wire shorted to ground and it sounds like the starter switch on the handle bar. Sounds like the gas gauge is getting power and then losing it.
You need to check out all the wires you disconnected, with a multimeter.
I should have mentioned that I'm very familiar with troubleshooting electronics and electrical, so one of the first things I checked was power and grounds. I may have my terminology mixed up... like I said, I'm not a mechanic. The engine was acting like it was going to start, but never did and since the starter was clicking trying to work, I pulled the plugs and watched for sparks.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:11 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyBob
I should have mentioned that I'm very familiar with troubleshooting electronics and electrical, so one of the first things I checked was power and grounds. I may have my terminology mixed up... like I said, I'm not a mechanic. The engine was acting like it was going to start, but never did and since the starter was clicking trying to work, I pulled the plugs and watched for sparks.
So the engine was cranking but not starting.

If you have EFI, then there'll be no spark if both plugs are removed.

The ECM needs to see vacuum on the intake before it will fire the plugs and injectors, and with no plugs, there's no intake vacuum.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:20 AM
ArmyBob
Novice
Default Problem's fixed

Originally Posted by 1004ron
So the engine was cranking but not starting.

If you have EFI, then there'll be no spark if both plugs are removed.

The ECM needs to see vacuum on the intake before it will fire the plugs and injectors, and with no plugs, there's no intake vacuum.
Problem wound up being that I'd accidentally stuffed the fuel pump connector back into the neck, so dug it out and hooked it up and bike started right up.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:13 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

glad you fuggered it out...