General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love/Hate relationship with my Center Stand

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Love/Hate relationship with my Center Stand

Last year I installed an EZ-Up center stand on my 14 Ultra Limited. The thing is a must have in my garage so I can fit the bike and two cars in. Plus it's key to easy on/off for my wife when we are out riding. So those are the positives of having the center stand installed.

The negatives though are quickly starting to outweigh the benefits. Even with the pressure up on the air shocks in the 35psi range a pot hole will have the stand scraping the ground. Worse is when you get the least bit aggressive while riding in the twists and turns the damn thing scraps all the time when you lean. This is especially pronounced in left hand turning. Was so annoyed yesterday that I let the damn things scrap for a full few seconds when going into a corner. Though not the smartest thing to do as I'm sure it could have easily bounced me upwards and into the woods.

So now I'm torn on what to do with the damn thing. I need it for the garage and when the wife is riding, but hate it when just out having fun on a solo ride. To bad there wasn't a quick detach way of putting it on and off. Might need to consider a floor jack for the bike and just ditch the center stand.

I imagine I'm not the only one with this issue. Anyone else come up with a ingenious way to make this damn thing work better?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 AM
clovisrider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just use a wheel chock in the garage to park in?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:46 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Center Stand

There's only 1 bolt in it...isn't that hard to take off and on.
I put one on my RGU and have to listen to people tell me what a bad idea that was.
I haven't taken the bike on any seriously curvy roads since I installed it so I don't know if it will drag.
Like you said it is great for the garage.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Bought it with the idea of keeping my Ultra parked upright at all times until my better half and I rode and scraped just every unimaginable crooked pavement, sidewalk and whatnot. Hated it so much that I took it off and sold it.

Now, I'm at a Peace of Mind, absolute free from scraping here and there.

Thorey

Old 05-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by clovisrider
Why not just use a wheel chock in the garage to park in?
+1 Problem solved. If that thing is scraping, that's an accident waiting to happen. Get the chock. There are several threads about different manufacturers. Mine is a Condor - love it.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by thowk
+1 Problem solved. If that thing is scraping, that's an accident waiting to happen. Get the chock. There are several threads about different manufacturers. Mine is a Condor - love it.
Question on the Wheel Chock. Once you pull into it how hard is it to pull the bike back out of it? I have a little room in the garage to maneuver it in, but not a ton.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockrivr1
Question on the Wheel Chock. Once you pull into it how hard is it to pull the bike back out of it? I have a little room in the garage to maneuver it in, but not a ton.
I can only speak for the Condor chock that I own - the wheel cradle has various position settings depending upon the size of the wheel/tire that's going in to it. The manual suggested the setting, which is basically a pin that positions it, for my bike and it was perfect. It takes a bit of a tug to get it out which is a good thing because I live in earthquake country and I want it stable. It's not all that hard. If, however, I had it set wrong and the cradle is too far out it could be a bear to get out. Hard to explain without pics, but check out the Condor site and it should be clear. Some members also really like the Harbor Freight chock.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:12 PM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Rockrivr1 pump the shocks up to 40-45psi when 2 up. This will help.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:39 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I have a Condor, and it's easy to unload the bike.
I have a bad back, and if i can do it, you can.
It helps to compress the forks, then pull it out on the rebound.