General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission issues, fluid change, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:44 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transmission issues, fluid change, etc...

First of all, this is on a '97 RK. This bike has an Ultima 6 speed transmission (why, I don't know b/c 6th gear is useless unless you are doing at least 90 mph on flat grade). That being said, I've had issues with this transmission ever since I bought the bike (and it was supposedly a new tranny then). One of the ongoing issues I've had is hitting neutral between gears...and that seems to be getting worse.

Now bigger and more obvious problem. I changed my fluids yesterday and there was a ton of metal in the tranny. The fluid was actually gray in color (not on the dipstick but all the fluid that was sitting on the bottom of the pan). There was quite a bit of metal flakes in the oil...and big flakes. Like I said, the oil was gray in color but the flakes were substantial in size. So, something is going on in there that's causing this...

Last but not least, when I first started my bike after my fluid change, something was making one helluva racket! There was a terrible noise down around the primary that lasted about 1-2 minutes (it picked up speed as I increase the RPM's) and then disappeared. That being said, after a 30 mile ride to town, I noticed oil all over the inside of the primary and on the underside of the bike. It was literally dripping wet. I think it blew out of the overflow hose (???). That's what it looks like anyway. This bike has never leaked a drop so this was a new thing. I'm curious if that "sucking" noise (sort of like it was starved for air or something) could have had something to do with it blowing all that oil out. I'm also wondering what might have caused this. It happened immediately after my oil change. I blew some air through the tranny in an attempt to help clear all the old metal filled oil out of the case (while changing out the fluids). Is it possible that blowing the air through it might have contributed to the noise issue...and all the fluid that ended up blowing out of the hose???

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback...

Last edited by AAAC; 05-18-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 PM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Pretty much what you describe happened to my '08 Heritage. Of course, I had the Harley transmission but other than that I had the exact same symptoms. The problem was my main bearing. It took out my entire transmission. The oil leak was due to the main bearing rupturing the seal between the inner and outer primary. Don't ride the bike any further and have it trailered to your dealer or repair shop. My repair was roughly $12 or $13 hundred but it was covered under my extended warranty. Harley wouldn't swap out the tranny and insisted on a rebuild.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Did you over fill the transmission? It should have 20-24 ounces.Metal coming out of the transmission is not good and that combined with the missed shifts tells me that thing has issues. Worn dog teeth, bent forks or both. One way to find out open it up and have a look.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:55 AM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Did you over fill the transmission? It should have 20-24 ounces.Metal coming out of the transmission is not good and that combined with the missed shifts tells me that thing has issues. Worn dog teeth, bent forks or both. One way to find out open it up and have a look.
24 oz...on the nose. That's why I don't understand where all this fluid is coming from. The level "appears" to be the same as when I filled it, although it's hard to tell on that chrome dipstick with clear oil.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:02 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Maybe your clutch came loose and cracked or gouged your inner primary and it could be primary fluid.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:20 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it off or pay someone to take it off. Start at the primary end with the transmission sitting on a bench. I sure wouldn't be riding something noisy, not acting right, and full of metal shavings. Simple trouble shooting-----it's broke. Fix it.