General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Sold My Bike - Hung 'Em Up for Good

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:46 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just Sold My Bike - Hung 'Em Up for Good

Greetings -

I've been a member of this forum for several years, and if you recall I've "hung 'em up" before. But today was different, today is really the end.

43 years of riding, all kinds of weather, all kinds of places. Not as much as I would have liked, but enough for lots of memories. Many of these memories are on Harleys, some are on other bikes. In the end it really doesn't matter much - the joy was riding, but I did enjoy the ride on a Harley most of all.

So after 43 years the body gave out, and the two surgeries over the last year were more than I could handle. As it is I'll be recovering for another year. When you can't feel your fingers, can't grip the brakes it's time to give it up.

I've learned a lot in the 43 years - as anyone who has ridden can attest to. I'll miss the people, the sounds and the wind. I won't miss the cagers who think it's fun to drive without a care for anyone else, or the people who think texting and driving is "fun".

What I'd also like to leave behind, a thought if you will, is that you should live life fully. There may never be another ride, another chance to do today what you are able to do. I have no regrets as I hang em up for good, but there were days that I could have ridden and didn't. The chores I had to do would have gotten done anyway, but that perfect ride still awaits me.

Enjoy the ride, and the journey. That's all we have. And thanks to all for the friendship of this forum over the years.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:49 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Good luck to you. And God bless.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:50 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Best of luck to you! I got my first Harley 43 years ago, but have been blessed with good health and will continue to ride until I, like you, come to the realization I can't do it anymore. Hope your health recovers and you can go on to enjoy other aspects of your life!

Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Good luck with what comes next!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 PM
MLZ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, I rode for 30-plus year. Then I got cancer and had to have a lot of surgeries. Couldn't ride for more than 30 minutes without so much pain I'd have to stop. Finally gave it up and sold everything. Figured I was through, but as the years went by I began to feel better and not as stiff. Long story short, after about four years I bought another bike. That was in 2004, and I've been riding steadily ever since. I'll never do a 1,000-in-one, but my wife and I are planning a leisurely ride to Oregon this summer. Keep the faith, you might be back in the saddle again. And if not, you've got 43 years of memories. Good luck, whatever happens.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:14 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

43 years is a good run! May you have as much fun on the next 43. LOL Any plans for a new hobby? or is there another one you currently have? Keep making those memories!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:23 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Hope all gets better for you!

Sounds like you've had plenty of good experiences.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Dalt10
Road Master

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

Good luck! Even if I only have 15 spare minutes in a day I try to ride my Harley.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:33 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

"What I'd also like to leave behind, a thought if you will, is that you should live life fully. There may never be another ride, another chance to do today what you are able to do. I have no regrets as I hang em up for good, but there were days that I could have ridden and didn't. The chores I had to do would have gotten done anyway, but that perfect ride still awaits me."

I think I know what I am doing tomorrow.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Been a good run....Dont look back....

Quick Reply: Just Sold My Bike - Hung 'Em Up for Good