General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative to HD Switchback Textile Jacket

Old 05-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Alternative to HD Switchback Textile Jacket

A number of years ago I was given a HD Switchback Textile Jacket and for a long time I loved wearing it. Lately though I'm starting to think it looks like I'm wearing a riding billboard for HD. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the versatility of the switchback jacket. In hot weather it's a mesh jacket that lets maximum air flow. In cold weather you zipper on the piece that goes over the mess making it more windproof. Finally for wet weather it has a liner that can be put in the base layer of the jacket for waterproof protection. Fantastic design.

So now I'm on the hunt for a Switchback Textile Jacket that has very little or no markings on it at all. Unfortunately my search hasn't been coming up with much. Joe Rocket has something vaguely similar, but not close to the same functionality and versatility.

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation that would fit the bill.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:43 PM
Frank Dukes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you looked at speed & strength's gear?

http://www.ssgear.com/usa_english/me...e-jackets.html

Old 05-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe Rocket Alter ego. It's where the idea for the Switchback came from

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html

They also have the Super Ego for leather.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:14 AM
Rockrivr1
Road Master

Thanks guys for the recommendations. After looking them over I'm really liking the Joe Rocket Super Ego jacket. Though I wish it didn't have that stupid looking JR logo in the back of it.

The SS Gear is pretty decent as well. Like the Stars and Stripes jacket. Don't think it has enough airflow through it though.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:19 AM
maydaymike
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Check out the Olympia Expedition jacket. I have an older version of it, and have been pretty happy with it.

http://olympiamotosports.com/product...dition-jacket/

Old 05-21-2015, 04:28 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Harley now makes a similar jacket in the FXRG line, sans big logo.

It will last forever-lifetime guarantee.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master

Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Harley now makes a similar jacket in the FXRG line, sans big logo.

It will last forever-lifetime guarantee.
WTF!! For $850 it better come with a hooker, unlimited sex and a lifetime supply of beef jerky!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 PM
AGSURFR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tour Master Flex 3 Jacket

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...-flex-3-jacket

I believe the Switchback was made by Tour Master. It was either their 1st or 2nd gen version of this.

have the HD Switchback jacket also and you are right, it feels like a billboard on your back.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I also have a Switchback textile jacket and hate the large "Harley-Davidson" embroidered on the back (it's just too visible for my taste). I borrowed a couple of tools from my wife's sewing tool collection and removed the embroidery on the back. I also took off the rubber patches on both shoulders, but I left the HDMC patch on the right chest intact and also left the embroidery on the left chest intact.

With the embroidery removed, I'm left with a "shadow" where the embroidery used to be. This is because my jacket has been worn a long time so the areas exposed to the sun have faded somewhat. The material underneath the embroidery hasn't faded yet since it has never been exposed to the sun. The jacket looks much better now: The words "Harley-Davidson" can still be seen but is faint (almost like it's meant to be that way, à la the Black Line).

This way I don't have to spend more money to replace a jacket whose functions I already like.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:23 PM
Mad Monk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like you, I didn't want to be a walking billboard, HD, makes great gear, but make the logo smaller. Please.

I have a REV'IT Tornado mesh jacket that I got a week ago. It has a waterproof liner that doubles as warmer or vice versa. Has shoulder, elbow and back armor. Shoulder and Elbow armor are CE rated and I replaced the back pad with the See Soft CE2 rated back protector. It's got all kinds of individual adjustments you can make to suit your fit requirements. It's hot when it's over 80 outside, but when you walk into air conditioning, you can feel that it's actually working to breath. Or when you take off from a stop. Breezy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternative to HD Switchback Textile Jacket