General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Padjo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams

What would be an appropriate cam for a 2008 Ultra Classic 110 with heavy breather, D and D fat cat header and exhausts??

Old 05-21-2015, 07:18 AM
NightHunter
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All depends on your style of riding. Early or late

Old 05-21-2015, 09:02 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe andrews 48

Old 05-21-2015, 01:14 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Get the Genesis 577s from GMR Performance not too far from where you live, Keller. Get Steve there to dyno tune it, you will be happy! I have had him tune 2 different set ups for me and both times loved the tune.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:02 PM
Padjo
6th Gear
Default Cams

Originally Posted by NightHunter
All depends on your style of riding. Early or late
Early or late ??

Old 05-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Padjo
6th Gear
Default Cams

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Get the Genesis 577s from GMR Performance not too far from where you live, Keller. Get Steve there to dyno tune it, you will be happy! I have had him tune 2 different set ups for me and both times loved the tune.
Thanks for post. Have contacted GMR. Am leaning toward Cobra FI2000 turner because some articles saying dyno tuning too stressful on bikes and Cobra tunes continuously. What do you think?

Old 05-21-2015, 03:16 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Padjo
Thanks for post. Have contacted GMR. Am leaning toward Cobra FI2000 turner because some articles saying dyno tuning too stressful on bikes and Cobra tunes continuously. What do you think?
I would get the Power Vision tuner from Fuel Moto and never look back. The PV tuner has sooo many advantages over something like the Cobra tuner, just spend some time investigating - piggyback, displaying ECM info, tune flashing, ability to dyno tune, etc, etc. Buying from Fuel Moto gets you great customer service and a preloaded map that will get you going, then do a few Autotunes to refine the map.

As far as dyno tuning, nothing is better than a dyno tune from a quality tuner. Sure the tuner will run the bike to max rpms but the motor was made to run to max rpms and has a safety buffer accounted into that. For a Stage 1 bike, probably could skip a dyno tune and just work with the map from Fuel Moto, but after adding cams, personally I would want a dyno tune especially if there were no more motor upgrades in the near future.

Added: Not sure if you do your own wrenching, but if you take your 110" bike to Steve at GMR Performance and let him install the 577s and a dyno tune using PV or even a SE Pro tuner, I think you would be shocked...

Last edited by HD Pilot; 05-21-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Padjo
6th Gear
Default Cams

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
I would get the Power Vision tuner from Fuel Moto and never look back. The PV tuner has sooo many advantages over something like the Cobra tuner, just spend some time investigating - piggyback, displaying ECM info, tune flashing, ability to dyno tune, etc, etc. Buying from Fuel Moto gets you great customer service and a preloaded map that will get you going, then do a few Autotunes to refine the map.

As far as dyno tuning, nothing is better than a dyno tune from a quality tuner. Sure the tuner will run the bike to max rpms but the motor was made to run to max rpms and has a safety buffer accounted into that. For a Stage 1 bike, probably could skip a dyno tune and just work with the map from Fuel Moto, but after adding cams, personally I would want a dyno tune especially if there were no more motor upgrades in the near future.

Added: Not sure if you do your own wrenching, but if you take your 110" bike to Steve at GMR Performance and let him install the 577s and a dyno tune using PV or even a SE Pro tuner, I think you would be shocked...
thanks appreciate the post.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:47 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Something with LOTS of torque for that big chunk of lead...LOL.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:34 AM
NightHunter
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want take off power. Or cruising power. Early late

Quick Reply: Cams