General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My spidey senses were tingling...close call

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Default My spidey senses were tingling...close call

We have all been there. The person sitting at the stop sign on the side road decides to pull out.

What I think is interesting is how so many times you just know it is going to happen. No indication from the driver, just that feeling you get and you know what's coming.

This morning I was coming down the main road. Two lanes, speed limit 55. I am at or below the limit a little. Then I see her. She is at the stop sign dead still. She lets the car in front of me pass which is probably 75 yards ahead. then sits still for a moment more.

Boom, that sixth sense kicks in and though she is looking right at me I start scrubbing speed and sure enough out she comes into my lane and stops dead. I go around in the other lane and shake my head. Despite the fact she could see me for half a mile I am sure I "came out of nowhere"

Just another day commuting, nothing new.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:57 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

No doubt you are an experienced rider. That "sixth sense" is the result of recognizing a developing scenario, and you automatically go on high alert. The second thing that comes into play is her misconception that because you began to decelerate, she ASSUMED you were going to turn right. When you didn't she froze, not knowing what to do. Then, it was up to you to complete the scenario.

We've all seen it many times before. Lot of crashes are the result of drivers not seeing a motorcycle at all, but more I think come from unknown intentions based on conflicting sensory signals. Better to hesitate and prepare than to assume the other driver will respond appropriately.

When I approach a driver waiting to turn or cross an intersection, I like to make eye contact if possible. People respond to eye contact better than they do objects. If I can't, then, like you did, I prepare for evasive action. Good job.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:59 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

She did not see you .
looked right through you .
common , sadly lots of riders think they actually see you and bam!

Never heard of "spidey senses "
"gut feel" is what I use .....
ride safe

Old 05-22-2015, 11:00 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakguy
Just another day commuting, nothing new.
Yup, same **** we all deal with every different day. Anymore, it's not even spidey senses - it's just the way you have to ride if you wanna stay in one piece. Assume that EVERYONE is trying to kill you and be pleasantly surprised when they don't.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I here ya but she didn't have time to misread my intentions this time. It all happened in moments. I do my best to be predictable but sometimes they really just don't see you. I am sure she was a nice lady and was mortified at her mistake. I try not to get too angry when they try to kill me unintentionally:0

Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Yep, I've had that exact thing on multiple occasions. I remember one guy in particular that was exactly as described. Stopped at a side street, looks me right in the eyes, or so it seemed, and pulls out. Like you, I knew he was gonna do it.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds

When I approach a driver waiting to turn or cross an intersection, I like to make eye contact if possible. People respond to eye contact better than they do objects. If I can't, then, like you did, I prepare for evasive action. Good job.

Eye contact is not a guarantee that they see you. I've had plenty of people seem to make eye contact and then pull right out in front of me.

IN MSF class the instructor said if you really think they don't see you, wave at them. It gets their attention and then they spend the rest of the day trying to figure out who you are. I've never tried that though, I'm usually too busy covering my clutch and brake levers.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:30 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
Eye contact is not a guarantee that they see you.
Cage drivers are conditioned to look for cars, no cars = good to go.

I look briefly at the driver, then focus on their front wheel. As long as that wheel hasn't started moving, I'm good to go.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:38 AM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds
This always tends to be a butt-tightening moment for me. I tend to talk to myself when approaching an intersection. I'll say to myself...'Ok, do they see you? What are they going to do? Are they moving? Slow down'.

For me, riding safely is all about processing information and honestly, anticipating the worst.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:04 PM
cbump
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm new and this hasn't happened to me yet. I don't have the spidey sense yet but I am cautious and always lay off the throttle anytime I see a car sitting at an intersection like that. Just in case.

The only thing that's happened to me was I was sitting at a red light, left blinker on, and the lady directly across from is doing the same. Normally in this situation both vehicles would turn left in front of each other. Well as we both got greens (yield for turn), she starts easing forward and just keeps rolling. She wasn't turning in my way and she saw me, but it was like she didn't register that my blinker was on and she was just waiting for me to go straight so she could turn. So all of a sudden she realizes I'm also turning and just stops dead leaving us no room to go in front of each other but only leaving me like 2 ft behind her to turn. It was all slow speed and not scary or anything but just had me thinking wtf are you doing lady. Hope that all made sense as I'm on my phone.

Quick Reply: My spidey senses were tingling...close call