General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

missfire, back-fire, stall's and clouds of smoke

Old 05-22-2015, 09:00 PM
BmanRRT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missfire, back-fire, stall's and clouds of smoke

Hi everyone, please forgive me for reposting this, I posted it several days ago in the Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection section but I haven't gotten any replies yet so I am reposting here. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated

missfire, back-fire, stall's and clouds of smoke

Hi Everyone, please forgive me if this has already been discussed, I searched threw as much as I could and I did not find anything though. I have a custom softail with a S&S 96cu Evo and a S&S super G. I was out riding and it started sputtering on me so I got it back home but I can't seem to find the problem. I thought at 1st it was the carb so I cleaned it out and replaced the diaphragm in the accelerator pump. Ive also replaced the plugs and the coil at this point. Here is what it is doing now; It will start and idle perfectly even rev up, but after it has been running for about 1-2 min it will stall or if I rev it up it misfires/ backfires and, then stalls. Sometimes a cloud of smoke will pop out of the carb after the bike has been off for several seconds (~20-45) and it may fire off a backfire too. Anyone have any Idea's? Somebody told me to replace the manifold gaskets but that doesn't add up. The bike was built in 2002 fyi. Any advise would be appreciated.

Last edited by BmanRRT; 05-22-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Try posting it in the EVO section
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-classic-models-84/

And for the love of God don't use colors!!!!!!!!!
I can't make any sense of the above post with all the different colors.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:10 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

Agreed. Your HTML has much to be desired

Old 05-22-2015, 11:53 PM
BmanRRT
6th Gear

thx, Ieat. I think I repaired it

Old 05-23-2015, 08:18 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by BmanRRT
thx, Ieat. I think I repaired it
As I said you should post this over in the EVO forum.
There are some very smart people over there that only deal with the EVO motor.

Do you have the factory service manual for your bike?
What do your plugs look like?
Have you taken some carb cleaner and sprayed the intake gaskets with the motor running?
If you do and the motor revs up then you need new intake gaskets.

From what you have said I would guess it is the ignition pick up.
Take a look at it and see if the sealant (brown goo) melted off of it.
That is a good first indicator that it has gone **** up.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:07 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,560 Likes on 4,607 Posts

Is your ignition module for your bike in the nosecone of the engine cover? It should be. they go bad and cause this problem the heat cooks the electronics and they do all of your symptoms, especially if you have the old crane ignition modules. I would look there first

Old 05-23-2015, 11:28 AM
BmanRRT
6th Gear

Thanks for the responses guys.
I'm apprehensive about posting in the evo section because it will be the 3rd time I post and I'm the new guy, I don't want to p off the admin's, but I will do that, I hope they don't disapprove.
that being said:
I don't have a manual because the bike is a custom, I have not tried shooting carb cleaner around the intake manifold because I really don't believe that that is the problem, based on the symptoms. I have replaced the coil and plugs and I have cleaned the carb. (its shooting plenty of gas I can see it). The Ignition module makes sense, (thanks Charlie) it is in the nosecone.
How do I test it before I just replace it? I'm google-ing it now but haven't found it

Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 AM
BmanRRT
6th Gear

not sure if this will work, but here is the bike, I tried to upload it to my profile the other night it wouldn't work and my tech skills are not that good ;-)

Attached Thumbnails missfire, back-fire, stall's and clouds of smoke-dscf0293.jpg  
Old 05-23-2015, 11:44 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,560 Likes on 4,607 Posts

Originally Posted by BmanRRT
not sure if this will work, but here is the bike, I tried to upload it to my profile the other night it wouldn't work and my tech skills are not that good ;-)
I am a tech, so don't take this the wrong way, but if your tech skills aren't that good, (its a wise man who knows his limitations!!) I would suggest taking it to a shop, for repair. Coils don't go bad that often, but they can be checked by using an ohmmeter, also check (or maybe even replace) your plug wires, again using an ohmmeter, a quick check for a vacuum leak by spraying brake clean around your intake gaskets and carb mount. Usually the carb doesn't just take a crap, right now kinda deal, it happens over a short time, (as in a float level problem, or a torn diaphragm) so what winds up left is the ignition module. take the cover off the nosecone and see if the pick up looks or smells funny, if it does, that is it, if not, I don't know of any specs to check on ohms or voltages. Check the voltage at the coil, looking for 12 volts, after that replace the module, its common on the evos with the module in there, again the crane cams ones crapped out every couple years, but they perform well while they work. good luck!

Old 05-23-2015, 12:58 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
I am a tech, so don't take this the wrong way, but if your tech skills aren't that good, (its a wise man who knows his limitations!!) I would suggest taking it to a shop, for repair. Coils don't go bad that often, but they can be checked by using an ohmmeter, also check (or maybe even replace) your plug wires, again using an ohmmeter, a quick check for a vacuum leak by spraying brake clean around your intake gaskets and carb mount. Usually the carb doesn't just take a crap, right now kinda deal, it happens over a short time, (as in a float level problem, or a torn diaphragm) so what winds up left is the ignition module. take the cover off the nosecone and see if the pick up looks or smells funny, if it does, that is it, if not, I don't know of any specs to check on ohms or voltages. Check the voltage at the coil, looking for 12 volts, after that replace the module, its common on the evos with the module in there, again the crane cams ones crapped out every couple years, but they perform well while they work. good luck!
FWIW I think he was talking about his computer tech skills.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: missfire, back-fire, stall's and clouds of smoke