General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raining hard

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:36 PM
cbump
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Raining hard

First bike. I'm sitting at a hotel and there's a good thunderstorm going on. Really hard rain.

First question: anything I need to worry about as far as the bike getting rained on like this?

Second question, and this may be dumb but, with 45-50 mph gusts of wind, is it possible ill find my bike blown over on its side?

Thanks

Old 05-23-2015, 08:44 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

First, no worries. Second, Faced into the wind should be fine. If you have a room on the ground floor park the bike on the side walk in front of your room, this would solve both one and two. Stay dry.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:52 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cbump
First bike. I'm sitting at a hotel and there's a good thunderstorm going on. Really hard rain.

First question: anything I need to worry about as far as the bike getting rained on like this?

Second question, and this may be dumb but, with 45-50 mph gusts of wind, is it possible ill find my bike blown over on its side?

Thanks
First question: Is it a 07 or 08 Sportster? If not, you should be fine.

Second question: Park it with the kickstand on the downwind side and you'll be fine.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

One more thing to worry about. If you didn't put a cover on the seat, there is a good chance that the foam will be wet and you will get a wet butt when you sit on it.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:06 PM
cbump
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Made a mad dash outside and bike is still standing. Unfortunately I'm on the third floor. Thanks for the info amigos. Not too worried about the wind and if the rain won't hurt it I guess she'll just get a bath. Haha

Old 05-23-2015, 09:20 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,238 Likes on 8,377 Posts

Originally Posted by cbump
Made a mad dash outside and bike is still standing. Unfortunately I'm on the third floor. Thanks for the info amigos. Not too worried about the wind and if the rain won't hurt it I guess she'll just get a bath. Haha
Enough already! You can keep your freakin` rain, Texas! OKC just broke the all time record for rain in one month, over 14 inches, and we still have over a week to go in May. `Sucks!

Old 05-23-2015, 09:33 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Been raining here in Wichita since yesterday and looks to continue through Monday. Rivers are full and flowing fast. Glad we don't live South, where the water is headed to meet up with the water you're getting.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:36 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Riding in the rain just means you'll have to clean it better than usual.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
Enough already! You can keep your freakin` rain, Texas! OKC just broke the all time record for rain in one month, over 14 inches, and we still have over a week to go in May. `Sucks!

It has rained in Colorado and Denver every single day in the month of May. We are in danger of coming up shy of 300 days of sunshine this year that's how little the sun has been out.

We need the rain so bad so it's ridiculous to complain...but damn, I'm going to need Prozac if this goes on much longer.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:40 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

What coac said worse part about rain is having to clean every nook and cranny on the bike

Quick Reply: Raining hard