General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Change while on Jiffy stand

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:31 PM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Fluid Change while on Jiffy stand

Is it absolutely necessary to have the bike upright to change and add the proper amount of fluids back in all three places? Seems like just adding the amount of each fluid that the manual states should be good?

If so is there a reasonable priced option for a 2015 Ultra Limited? I have looked at the choices but have no experience with them and don't want to dump the 900 lb. bike in the garage!!

I just don't have ~$1000.00 for a nice bike jack.

Thanks.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:41 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

The Craftsman red jack at around $100 has worked for me.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 PM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
The Craftsman red jack at around $100 has worked for me.
Just looked at it on-line, Thanks for the advice I will definitely consider that one.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

You can swap fluids w/o jack or lift...get a wheel stand/chock to level bike and let 'er rip.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb...ock-61670.html

Old 05-24-2015, 10:08 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I change all the fluids on the side stand, can't think of a single reason why you can't too. You don't need to level the bike for the primary fill either, get one of the orange primary fluid funnels from your dealer, thats all you need. Drain and fill on the side stand, HD made it that way. No Problemo

Old 05-24-2015, 10:14 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
I change all the fluids on the side stand, can't think of a single reason why you can't too. You don't need to level the bike for the primary fill either, get one of the orange primary fluid funnels from your dealer, thats all you need. Drain and fill on the side stand, HD made it that way. No Problemo

You mean HD did engineer something right??? Don't let most of the forum hear that!!

Old 05-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns

I just double checked my manual, Doesn't say anything about standing bike straight up. Iv'e always done it on the jiffy/kickstand. Positions the Oil and Primary drain plugs at their lowest piont. Tranny drains so clear and clean when I do it, I don't worry about draining every drop.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:45 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with the post above.

Crankcase oil -- leave bike on sidestand. Dealing with the oil filter is the hardest part.

Transmission -- I leave the bike on the sidestand for this, too. The manual calls for 32oz, so when I refill, I just pour a full bottle in and close it up.

Primary -- I set the sidestand on a brick, which -almost- puts it upright, but not quite. It's still leaning a couple of degrees to the left. I drain the primary and then pour 38oz into it, and close it back up. Just be careful with it while it's "up on the brick"...

Old 05-25-2015, 03:03 AM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishrrman
Agree with the post above.

Crankcase oil -- leave bike on sidestand. Dealing with the oil filter is the hardest part.

Transmission -- I leave the bike on the sidestand for this, too. The manual calls for 32oz, so when I refill, I just pour a full bottle in and close it up.

Primary -- I set the sidestand on a brick, which -almost- puts it upright, but not quite. It's still leaning a couple of degrees to the left. I drain the primary and then pour 38oz into it, and close it back up. Just be careful with it while it's "up on the brick"...
Same here, though I use a 2x4 for the side stand, less likely to be knocked over.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:34 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When mine is on the jack, I cannot place my drain pan where I need it, the jack is in the way. So even with a jack, I change my fluids on a 2X6, which is a whole lot cheaper than a jack.

Quick Reply: Fluid Change while on Jiffy stand