General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early morning starts

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:02 AM
GRAPPLER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early morning starts

My new Harley has the V&H Long Shots and is quite loud especially at 3:00AM when I have to go to work.

My problem here is the neighbors don't like it and ask me to roll it down the street first. But then I can only roll it down like 2 houses before its a small hill so I still have to start it 2 houses away.

Do any of you have the early morning trouble like that with your neighbors?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sure your neighbors,if like some of mine, make a certain amount of noise also. Just be as courteous as possible. don't let it sit and idle or blip the throttle. Just crank and go. They will get over it!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:26 AM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

If I went in to work that early, I am not sure that I would have put new exhaust on my bike. I leave closer to 7am and I am aware of the sound my bike makes. On the other hand, what can they really do about it? I am sure other neighbors do annoying stuff also. Personally I only care about the neighbor to my right, so when winter comes I plow my driveway and his. It is very little effort for me, and it makes a huge difference for him. Because of this, I have never heard a peep about my bike and we get along fine.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Nope. The one I did have a problem with isn't here anymore, and it's not like I cared anyways because he didn't work.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:52 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Do you think the people 2 houses down don't mind the noise as much as your neighbors?

Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Yea, I wont run loud pipes for this reason as well as others. Can they do anything about it? No.

But still it is inconsiderate to do so. Now some will say that your neighbors make noise too and I am sure they do. However, consideration is something you give other people not for them but rather as a reflection of the kind of person you are.

And lets be realistic...go out at three in the morning when most of the world is asleep and see how much noise there is. Probably not much and definitely not as loud as your pipes.

Only you can decide the type of neighbor you will be. But don't come knocking on my door for a cup of sugar if you wake me up every night at 3:00 am

Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Early morning starts

My neighbors don't complain about my bike. One is the neighborhood bonfire party coordinator, and the other loves mowing his grass at 10 AM on Saturday morning (when I'm still sleeping). So, we're square.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:16 AM
GRAPPLER
6th Gear

Yep, thats the problem. I'm thinking about warning them today, and its mainly only the 4 good months we have here in Seattle area.

If they don't like it, could they call the police on me?

Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use to work nights (7pm to 7am) and would go to sleep around 10am. My neighbors on each side would mow their lawns waking me up with the noise. I already had a hard time sleeping during the day and the noise did not help. Because I worked 4, 12hr nights I would get 4 days off after a 4 night run. This made the work week 8 days instead of 7 so my start day would advance 1 day every week. I talked to my two neighbors and let them know what my work schedule was and they both keep more than the mower noise down from then on.

At another house I lived in my dad was dating the women next door so I never had issues with her. The neighbor on the other side was a different story. I refered to her as the Wicked Witch of the West. She use to call the cops constantly.

She called the cops because:
  • I shoveled snow onto my property, but the side that butts up to her property.
  • I refused to rake the leaves in her yard that she said came from a tree on the other side of my property.
  • I carried a bass drum into my house. (I didn't play it, she called the cops because it would potentially make noise.)
  • I was working on my motorcycle in the driveway. She was mad I was not in the garage.
  • She also called the cops on her other neighbors for being gay (Not actually true). She thought it was against the law for two men to live together.

She was a joke to the local cops. They would knock on my door, say "Guess who called us again?", and tell me not to worry they just needed to make it look like they talked to me.

The way I use to get back at her would be by reving my motorcycle in between the two houses in the morning on my way to work. The funny thing was she never called the cop when I did that.

My advice is if your neighbors are friendly then try to accommodate their concerns. My neighbors now are great. Turns out all three of us own a drum set and two of us have loud motorcycles.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 AM
GRAPPLER
6th Gear

That one lady sounds like a b-----!!!! That would be horrible.

Quick Reply: Early morning starts