General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT Proposes Ban on Novelty Helmets

Old 05-27-2015, 10:48 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Great!

I'm waiting for the next thing, Seat belts for motorcycles.

Ya know, cause we been falling off and stuff.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:04 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 771 Likes on 369 Posts

Any brain too stupid to protect itself needs to be removed from the gene pool anyway, so let them ride with no helmets. It's a win-win for everyone.

I won't post the link because I don't want to scare some of the more naive souls around here, but google "no helmet motorcycle accident" images. Enjoy.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:10 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 538 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
What can the government do to people who refuse to wipe their ****? Let them get diaper rash?
So you don't know either? Everybody is supposed to get health insurance now, I was just wondering how that could possibly be enforced? And what happens to the people that choose not to get health insurance?

Is society supposed to let them suffer/die?

Old 05-30-2015, 12:36 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Seems to me that freedom of expression under the First Amendment is implicated when the government tries to tell you what you can wear, and what type of hat can be sold.

Maybe they should think about simply identifying these novelty helmets and making them have some sort of non-DOT, or "unapproved" sticker.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:51 AM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
So you don't know either? Everybody is supposed to get health insurance now, I was just wondering how that could possibly be enforced? And what happens to the people that choose not to get health insurance?

Is society supposed to let them suffer/die?
Yes. Yes and yes. Being an adult means living, our dying due to the consequences of your actions.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:22 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DOT Proposes Ban on Novelty Helmets

A good helmet vastly increases your odds of survival in an accident. I rarely wear one. It's no one else's concern.
I don't get along with people who tell me what to do.

Last edited by Loc_Tite; 05-30-2015 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:07 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,534 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Tufel
Yes. Yes and yes. Being an adult means living, our dying due to the consequences of your actions.
That sounds good but its my property taxes that go up to pay for uninsured emergency room visits to our local hospital from people without health insurance.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:14 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
That sounds good but its my property taxes that go up to pay for uninsured emergency room visits to our local hospital from people without health insurance.
That is precisely the rationale the DOT uses in the preamble to the proposed rule as justification for this gubment action.

The source of their numbers is not clear, but they state that 75% of the cost of any vehicular accident is born by the public (closed/damaged road; police/fire responders; ambulance/medic response; ER room response; increase in everyones medical/insurance rates; etc., etc.). And they state that it is likely even higher number for motorcyclists. Again, no references.

Perhaps, but that line of reasoning could, if followed to its logical conclusion, lead to the banning of motorcycles completely. "To promote the general welfare" is always the bureaucratic constitutional fallback for any/all govt overreach. Where does it end?

Old 05-30-2015, 06:47 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
how many uninsured gunshot emergency room visits are there every night across the country. we are paying for everyone of them too. to many laws on the books now. this is suppose to be a free country and we should keep it that way.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:20 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,534 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
how many uninsured gunshot emergency room visits are there every night across the country. we are paying for everyone of them too. to many laws on the books now. this is suppose to be a free country and we should keep it that way.
I wasn't speaking to the novelty helmet issue alone so yes, include the gunshot wound too. Everybody should have health insurance so everybody is indeed responsible for their own care. I pay for mine, they can pay for theirs. Personally I don't care if you ride w/o a helmet (or a novelty.) I do care if you're asking me to assume some of your risk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DOT Proposes Ban on Novelty Helmets