General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$339 for an extra key fob???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:41 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default $339 for an extra key fob???

So I just traded for a used Street Glide and it only came with 1 key fob. Since the bike isn't going to run without it, I figured I need an extra.

I called the dealership and talked to a guy in the parts department and he said that unless I have an identification number for the system and a 5-digit pin number for the fob, the only way I can get another key fob is to buy a whole new security system/module/whatever for $339 (or get by without a backup key/security fob).

Does that sound right?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

From page 848 of the 2015 HD Catalog:

H-D SMART SECURITY SYSTEM HANDS-FREE FOB
Replacement/Additional Hands-Free Fob.
68926-07 $44.95
Fits ’07-later models equipped with H-D Smart
Security System. Requires activation. See your Harley-
Davidson dealer.

Sounds like yet another parts guy who doesn't know his stuff..ask if there's someone else there you can talk to...

Old 05-26-2015, 09:54 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think what he was saying is, they can't activate it, without a security system ID number and a key fob PIN.

But, if that PIN is the same one you can reprogram to override the Fob and start without it, then it looks like all I need to do is reset my 5-digit PIN.

That leaves the security system ID number, which the guy claims there is no way to get, unless I know it.

Then again, that fob/security override PIN may not be the same PIN he means, but they are both 5-digit, so I'm thinking maybe.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:04 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since you have a working FOB, I would change the pin to something you will remember.
There is a procedure for getting the bike started without a FOB, BUT you must know the pin.

I think I have read on here that some dealers charge an hour to "marry" a new fob, others have been much less.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:08 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I would think with the VIN number, the dealer could get the security system ID number (if it is not the same as the override code). Try talking to the service department instead of the parts guy, they are the ones that activate the new fob.

Last edited by joe.1955; 05-26-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
So I just traded for a used Street Glide and it only came with 1 key fob. Since the bike isn't going to run without it, I figured I need an extra.

I called the dealership and talked to a guy in the parts department and he said that unless I have an identification number for the system and a 5-digit pin number for the fob, the only way I can get another key fob is to buy a whole new security system/module/whatever for $339 (or get by without a backup key/security fob).

Does that sound right?
Call the dealer you got the bike from to get the 5 digit code. DH bought a used RKC a few months ago with only 1 FOB. When I called to get the code, the service manager told me they reset all used bikes to the same code, you can change it if you want to.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by joe.1955
I would think with the VIN number, the dealer could get the security system ID number. Try talking to the service department instead of the parts guy, they are the ones that activate the new fob.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 AM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a '14 Ultra Ltd. I recently lost my ignition lock key and fob while riding at Daytona Bike Week, and discovered the loss when I tried to restart after a break. I remembered the number I had programmed into the system and was able to re-start and get back to the hotel to get my second fob.

Afterwards, I went to Rossmeyer's to see about a replacement. They told me they would need to see my title to verify ownership. I had the reg, but not the title, so I decided to wait until I got home.

At home, I went into my local HD dealer (though not the selling dealer), and took my drivers license and title. They accepted that and ordered a replacement key and fob. They key cost $29.70 and the fob cost $44.95. I then had to take the bike, the new fob and my old fob over to service to have them program the new fob. That cost another $46.

So, all told, my stupidity cost about $120. But beyond that, it was straightforward.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:14 AM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
I think what he was saying is, they can't activate it, without a security system ID number and a key fob PIN.

But, if that PIN is the same one you can reprogram to override the Fob and start without it, then it looks like all I need to do is reset my 5-digit PIN.

That leaves the security system ID number, which the guy claims there is no way to get, unless I know it.

Then again, that fob/security override PIN may not be the same PIN he means, but they are both 5-digit, so I'm thinking maybe.
I bought my bike used. There was a little sticker inside the owners manual with the security system ID number on it. If you got the owners with your bike you may want to check there for it.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:31 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GaJayhawk
I have a '14 Ultra Ltd. I recently lost my ignition lock key and fob while riding at Daytona Bike Week, and discovered the loss when I tried to restart after a break. I remembered the number I had programmed into the system and was able to re-start and get back to the hotel to get my second fob.

Afterwards, I went to Rossmeyer's to see about a replacement. They told me they would need to see my title to verify ownership. I had the reg, but not the title, so I decided to wait until I got home.

At home, I went into my local HD dealer (though not the selling dealer), and took my drivers license and title. They accepted that and ordered a replacement key and fob. They key cost $29.70 and the fob cost $44.95. I then had to take the bike, the new fob and my old fob over to service to have them program the new fob. That cost another $46.

So, all told, my stupidity cost about $120. But beyond that, it was straightforward.

I did pretty much the same thing. $45 at the parts counter for a replacement fob and service dept married it to the security system and didn't charge me anything. It's pretty complicated. They have to remove a side cover, plug into a port on the left side and push a button. They didn't ask me about any codes and I had changed mine from the dealer default code the day it was delivered.

Quick Reply: $339 for an extra key fob???