General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta Love the Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Gotta Love the Dealerships

So at 12,800 miles I decided the RG needed a new rear tire, took it to my local HD dealer and dropped the bike off with the request that they check the bearings while they had the tire off, they informed they would check the bearings and the brakes, Sweet!

An hour or so later I get the call, "your rear brakes are thin" no worries, replace them.

Now comes the fun, I pick the bike up and they tell me the front rotors are bad, during the test ride they noticed pulsing, a mere $480 to replace my full floating rotors along with pads. So a year ago I had taken the bike in under Warranty for pulsing front brakes, they told me "that’s normal with floating rotors" and declined to make repairs, now that the bike is out of warranty it needs them.

This gets better, I took the bike in for service and asked them to check the battery, still under warranty they told me all was good, it had been struggling to start for a few weeks. Took the bike up to V-Twin for pipes and dyno tune and got a call saying the battery was weak and needed to be replaced.

While I am not surprised at any of this, I do find it interesting to note.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:49 AM
bulkman2008
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Rip offs , you already knew that .

Old 05-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Your brakes and battery was probably problem free a year ago.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

That's what you get when you go to a dealer for service.....

Dealership mechanics are generally hacks and the dealership is out to fleece you out of every dime they can.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:05 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Your brakes and battery was probably problem free a year ago.
Good point, depending on how a person rides, a lot can happen in a year's time.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I like my dealer. Get a new one.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

My brakes pulsed a year ago and that is what the dealer mechanic claimed now after the warranty was done.

My battery was bad a month ago and I checked it myself before taking it into the dealer.

yes, the dealer mechanics are less than desirable, each time they have worked on the bike, it gets worse. I took it in for a tire, that is just about as far as I trust them. I have several Indy’s that I trust for when I don't want to do my own wrench work.

Find a new dealer, this is South Texas, it's not like I have choices unless I am willing to travel a minimum of 100 miles, which may not seem like much unless you have to leave the bike and get a ride home.

Bulkman, Yes, I knew that, I knew when they said the battery was fine that it was not, I knew the brakes were a problem when I took it in.

For the record, I was not crying, just vocalizing.

Here the thing, This dealership is losing out on sales, I have tried many times to spend money on accessories and such, they just keep poking themselves in the eyes.

I stopped by to purchase exhaust and other items and they had nothing in stock and did not seem eager to get the stuff so I took my money to someone who wanted my money. In the scheme of things, not much money but this would be the second time I spent nearly 3K on stuff they could have made money on.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:25 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

What dealer? I got the same answer regarding the front pulses from mine (Rawhide). They said that the mothership's specs were so liberal that replacing them might actually be worse than what's already on the bike.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I like my dealer. Get a new one.
I like my dealer too...I just wouldn't let the hacks in the back ever touch my motorcycle.
The parts guys at the dealer I go to are great.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:40 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I hate to say it but I have had similar experiences until I got to know my dealer mechanic on a first name basis. Case in point. Took my wife's Softail in for a check up on the front forks. I had noticed a wobble that I didnt think was normal. I also requested the fork oil be replaced as routine maintenance. While servicing the bike my mechanic noticed that some key washers were missing or inverted or just not in the right place. He fixed that and buttoned up the front end after adjusting the steering head. We picked up the bike the next day and went for a putt. All was good.
On the next day's ride we noticed there was fork oil on the left side of the gas tank which indicated something was leaking. We immediately took the bike back to the dealership and left it for repair. Later that afternoon I got a call from the Service Writer who informed me the entire front fork assembly would need to be disassembled and I was looking at a couple $100s in a labor bill. I said WTF? I rode back to the dealership to speak with the Service Writer and my mechanic. They explained to me that whomever put the chrome front forks package on the bike had basically put it together ***-backwards and that was why the fork was now leaking. I said HOLD ON A MINUTE. I brought in a bike that had NO front fork leak but was given a bike back WITH a front fork leak. WTF? I immediately took a defensive position and started to argue with the Service Writer on whether my extended warranty would cover this repair. After much blah blah blah, my mechanic finally chimed in and said HE would fix it for FREE since it was HIS time only and no parts. Now thats what I call customer service. We have the bike back now presumably assembled correctly and no leaks. While I escaped a dealer charge for the service I made sure my mechanic was comped appropriately, all the while still saving me some big bucks. I cant complain about this!

Point being again, get to know the guys in the back and take care of them. They will take care of you.

Quick Reply: Gotta Love the Dealerships