General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

feed back requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 PM
chucks motorworks
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feed back requested

Hoping to start my own business worked on bikes 20+ years took a break for a while worked in fuel injection industry for seven years moved on to the mental health field ie drug and alcohol dependency for eight years realized how much I miss working on bikes I have excellent mechanical skills I was taught by some of the best areas of honesty integrity followed by the ability to understand the customers wants and needs ability to do thurogh tune-ups excellent carburation skills electrical valve grinding crank rebuilding wheel lacing the list goes on and on. I have noticed over the years people being taken advantage of in reguards to there pocket book and wounce the dealership or shop has your money they seem to for get your name I am hopeing to change that thou for me to start this endever it would be quite an investment honest feedback is welcome thanks chuck

Old 05-26-2015, 08:22 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

If you have the start up capital. Go for it.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:44 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Going by what you say, give it a shot. I've used my local Indy for many years and they have also been in the community for a very long time. In fact, one of them actually grew up in the area so he knows a lot of people. There will always be pros and cons about dealerships but the Indy that I use has a much smaller overhead to deal with so he can pass on the savings to us, such as lower hourly rates and how much profit he needs from sales and service. I will add this, one nice thing that I like about my Indy is that his customers/friends are able to BS with him in the shop while he works on their bikes so the atmosphere in his shop is much more personalized than in the dealership that I bought my bike from.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

The best techs do not make the best business owners. Take a course, read up, learn what it takes to own and run a business.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:52 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

We have a local Indy much like you who is running a successful business. Classic Cycles of Lafayette, IN. Maybe you could give him a call. I bet he'd have good advice. He is well known to be an excellent technician with a reputation for fairness.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I threw my business to a local Indy mech a yr ago..
His customer interface was great, great mechanics in the shop, very thorough, on time..
On and on..
He started to become very popular..
hired some help..

Customer consideration fell off the cliff..
Couldn't keep appts, late in getting work finished, I have to ask for my old parts every time..
And then mechanics had trouble finding them...
Wouldn't call when bike finished never apologized for anything ever..
and on and on..

Last time I went, I took my bike there, it started to rain pretty good, I asked them to bring it in..
They stood around BS'ing...I had to cover it while they watched..guess how pissed I was..

Don't lose sight/ focus..

Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Bike business isn't what it was 10 yrs ago and your skill set is dated to older iron which puts you into a niche therefor smaller cheaper market. May have to pay some dues at a local shop getting up to speed on the latest and greatest for the twinkies before you make a big money decision on going forward. Been working on these things since my first bike and while I love them the times I've done it going full time always burns me out on it in a few years. Food for thought.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:27 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I used an Indy, but didn't like him for several reasons. One was that Harley stopped selling to Indys, so he couldn't use HD parts.
I was self employed for 8 years. Almost bankrupted me. Get some accounting training if you start a business. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:06 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chucks motorworks
Hoping to start my own business worked on bikes 20+ years took a break for a while worked in fuel injection industry for seven years moved on to the mental health field ie drug and alcohol dependency for eight years realized how much I miss working on bikes I have excellent mechanical skills I was taught by some of the best areas of honesty integrity followed by the ability to understand the customers wants and needs ability to do thurogh tune-ups excellent carburation skills electrical valve grinding crank rebuilding wheel lacing the list goes on and on. I have noticed over the years people being taken advantage of in reguards to there pocket book and wounce the dealership or shop has your money they seem to for get your name I am hopeing to change that thou for me to start this endever it would be quite an investment honest feedback is welcome thanks chuck
I would go visit all 7 other mc shops in waterford township. See how their doing. Maybe look into getting a wrench job and seeing if the reality is as good as the dream.I know from personal experience that in MI, if your shop doesn't work on snow machines and ATVS you have no work in the winter with out club affiliation and that brings a whole other set of problems not the least of which is police then code enforcement attention. If you're thinking "chucks motorworks specializing in Harley Davidson" I'd forget it. The majority of Harles going to shops now are mostly FI twinkies and they're going to the dealer. Unless you are working on all makes and models or you already own the building, I wouldn't do it in northern MI.

Start in your garage buying, repairing or refurbishing and selling evos and carbed twincams. See where it goes. If you're good and honest, you may make a name for yourself and move into a bigger garage.
FYI:
Don't EVER mortgage your home for a business venture!

Last edited by BoonDock_Saint; 05-27-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:51 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,427 Likes on 4,129 Posts

You should consider starting up a business if it's really in your heart, but cautiously and with some of the previous posts in mind.

I have two good friends that are well known and very good indies in their perspective areas and it ain't no picnic. As much as folks are looking for a good, honest, talented indy, so are indies looking for good, honest, PAYING customers.

Quick Reply: feed back requested