General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best riding glasses

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:45 AM
Timmer008
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best riding glasses

I would like everyone's opinion on the best riding glasses (clears). I am looking for something that will not fog up especially in the rain.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:58 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an older pair of Wiley X Airborne glasses that have a foam seal. I sent them off to Bikershades.com and they made me a custome set of Transitions Brand XTRActive™ lenses. The lenses are completely clear at night and get really dark in the sun. If you are interested in light adjusting lenses then Transitions Brand lenses are the only ones that perform well. If I was to purchase a new pair I would use bikershades.com because thier customer service is great, the brand would be Wiley X, and the lenses would be Transitions Brand.

As for fogging up in the rain. I have tried anti-fog sprays, anti-fog lenses, and pull-offs over the years on glasses and goggles. I don't find any product on the market that works well. The issue is the air temperature vs. the temperature of the lense. As the outside air comes in contact with the cool lense the relative humidity rises and the cooling air no longer has the ability to hold water causing the lense to fog up. You might even see this happen on a warm dry day if the difference in temperature of the air and lense are too far apart. When it's raining there's even more humidity in the air making it even worst. The only real true solution is to warm the lense. Before you ride you could run the glasses under hot water or use a hair dryer. On the road keep some HotHands Hand Warmers with you. Also, get glasses that vent well. Equalizing the temperature of the air on both sides of the lense can help as well.

If fogging is a real big issue you should look into goggles that are used for snow sports. They often have more than one lense stacked on top of each other creating an insulating layer in between that helps prevent fogging.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:08 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I have a pair of Wiley X SG-1 which comes with swappable lenses; dark and clear. They have the foam seal and have performed great for the past 4+ years. The foam on one lens has just started to come off but was easily glued back down and you can buy replacement lenses online if needed.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:16 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Your going to get as many opinions ad you would if you asked about oil lol.. I wear the safety glasses the state gives me for workin so cheaply for them

Old 05-27-2015, 06:17 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

+3 on Wiley X. I have the AirRage light adjusting and they are the best riding glasses I've ever had.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:24 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

There ain't a "best".
It's about proper fit. Everyone's face is different. What's good for one guy might not be good for you.
And to find proper fit you need to try glasses on,, before you make an internet purchase,,
Fogged lenses as already explained has to do with temp. Glasses need to fit snug to stop wind right? But if they're fogging it's because there's no air flow to cool the inside of the lens.
Usually a guy can drop the glasses just a fraction of an inch on your nose,, get a little air moving behind the lenses and the fog will go away.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:06 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,200 Posts
Default Check these out

Have you looked at gradients? I was very surprised how much I like them. I went with the HD brand for no other reason I have a head as big as a coconut and the fit really well

Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmer008
I would like everyone's opinion on the best riding glasses (clears). I am looking for something that will not fog up especially in the rain.
Unfortunately, there is no such animal. I've posted this elsewhere.

There is nothing. If you're wearing GLASS glasses, you can try rain-x and a 12 inch windshield. Plastic, forget it. There is nothing that lasts for even an hour in the rain. I've tried every product on the market and then some on a wide variety of glasses and goggles, including but not limited to, rain-x, invisible glass, plastix, Plexus, several car waxes,soap, gelatin, harley gloss, S100, mirror glaze, various trade show products i forget the names of, cat crap and several other ski goggle anti-fogs and saliva. I've even tried swimming goggles (10 years later I'm STILL hearing about that little experiment). The seriously ugly Emgo goggles that you see at every swap meet is what I've had the most success with. They're glass and you can use rain-x and your dremel with a buff on it.

Even if you get your glasses to not fog, the water coating the lens is going to seriously obscure your vision anyway along with the water going around them right into your eyes.. In this instance, a full face helmet may well be your best option aside from drafting a semi. I'll still try anything once if someone has the magic bullet!

Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Your right, nothing eliminates fogging. It's the result of temp, ambient moisture, dew point and a few other "science" things obviously beyond the scope of many on this forum.
Sport glasses, or goggles or masks that seal against your face will have one micro clime temp and moisture on the inside of the glasses vrs what ever is happening outside.
So trying to "anti-fog" is a pipe dream,,
What all the sprays and coating do is help moisture/water to disperse aka; Go away quickly,, and that's what you want to happen.
RainX doesn't stop your windshield from getting wet,, it help the water move off the glass.
So do use marketed anti fog sprays as they help a lot.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:36 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses.
1950's
1960's
1970's
1980's
1990's
2000's
2010's

60 years.
They've stood the test of time. Buy a pair and you will know why.

OOPS, my bad, you are looking for clear. The recommendation stands though.

Last edited by Jonesee; 05-27-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Best riding glasses