General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this sound crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:14 PM
rjwin
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does this sound crazy?

I sold my 2004 Heritage Softail last year and bought a 2014 Street Glide Special. It's blackened cayenne and has nav and all that other stuff. To be perfectly honest, I have found that I like the look and feel of a Heritage Softail a lot better. The nav on this motorcycle is almost worthless and I would rather listen to my engine than a radio. Just venting. It's paid for and I've considered trading it in on a 2015 Heritage, but I know the dealer will shove it in and break it off in me.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:45 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'd trade it in, if I was unhappy with it. And I agree with the radio....worthless car part add on to me.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Doesn't sound crazy to me. We ride for enjoyment, so hanging on to a bike you're not liking defeats the purpose. You tried something different and realized it wasn't for you - stuff happens. Chalk it up to a learning experience. If you trade, you'll probably take it in the shorts a bit so why not try selling it just to offset the financial hurt a bit? I love my street glide, but it doesn't have nav and I hardly ever have the radio on - much prefer the tunes my 103 plays. Life's short man - if you can swing it financially, get the bike that you want.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,913 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Not crazy- but I would definitely try to move it yourself first. Year-old trade is going to sting.....
Since I've made similar regretted decisions let me ask if you weren't sure what you were getting when you purchased the SG? Had you ridden some previously?

Old 05-27-2015, 01:03 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwin
I sold my 2004 Heritage Softail last year and bought a 2014 Street Glide Special. It's blackened cayenne and has nav and all that other stuff. To be perfectly honest, I have found that I like the look and feel of a Heritage Softail a lot better. The nav on this motorcycle is almost worthless and I would rather listen to my engine than a radio. Just venting. It's paid for and I've considered trading it in on a 2015 Heritage, but I know the dealer will shove it in and break it off in me.
Just out of curiosity, what made you want to make the trade in the first place? Did you test ride the SG before you got it?

Old 05-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I almost drank the SG Kool-Aid a couple of years ago. I relented and kept my beloved Super Glide. The Heritage is a great bike. Ride what you like.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

It is not at all unusual for someone trading their beloved older Harley for a new one.

The new bike is going to feel strange, and a quite a few things will be different than your old bike.

The old bike might have been heavily modified to fit your riding style. The new bike will be bone stock. You will need to get used to the new controls, and perhaps change out the exhaust to reflect your personal preferences. It also takes some time to get used to a new riding position, and get the seat and bars adjusted to your physique.

After a year or so on your new bike, it would be expected that a ride on your old bike might also reflect all the reasons you traded to the new one. You might then comment on the rough ride of the Softail on longer trips as well as the reduced cornering clearances.

You will come to appreciate the GPS on longer trips in unfamiliar areas, the lack of tunes or getting the news when away for a week or so. Having more room for a passenger or packing for longer trips.

The Softail is great for shorter trips, and if that is all that you do, I understand more your buyers remorse, but for longer trips, the features of a road bike will come into clearer focus.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:14 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Get the bike that you will be happy with. But I agree with trying to sell on your own rather than trade at a dealer.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,422 Likes on 5,534 Posts

Your money, your life, do what you need to make it what you want.

I've traded women that have cost Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar! more than what you are looking at
No one likes to lose the coin, but sometimes you just 'gotta.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:38 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Go for it, Money don't spend itself.

Quick Reply: Does this sound crazy?