General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions: Riding in the rain

Old 05-28-2015, 10:53 AM
glenc
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions: Riding in the rain

I would like to know everyone's opinion of riding in the rain. I know if you ride it is a given you are going to get wet at some point. But I am asking about intentionally taking off in the rain to ride. Personally I do not ride in the rain unless I get caught in it and can not avoid it. I have friends that are just the opposite. They will ride rain or shine. What are yalls feelings on the subject and why do you feel strongly about it one way or the other?

Old 05-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,510 Likes on 6,269 Posts

There is a big difference between a drizzle, blinding thunderstorm, all day rain, scattered thunderstorms, and hailstorms.
So depends on severity, longevity, and how bad I want to get somewhere.
I think everybody should do some riding on the rain, to be competent in it.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Chiggerbutt
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ride no matter what, as long as it is ok to be out. With the clothes today, you barely know it's raining or cold.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:04 AM
GunnerB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with Ron, it is a riding environment one should be comfortable riding in. I don't ride in the rain because I like riding in the rain, its a necessity in my commute at times.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:10 AM
750rider
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

If I am leaving for a trip and it is raining on the day I was planning on leaving I will put the rain suit on and ride. I don't mind the rain I just hate how dirty the bike gets. However if its a Sunday and I was going to ride locally and it was raining I wouldn't go. I am leaving from Chicago this sunday to head to deals gap and we will leave rain or shine.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 AM
byrdman.45
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 146 Posts

I was told by a motorcycle cop back in the sixties that "if you're going to ride a motorcycle you better learn to ride in the rain'. Was trying to beat the rain and was stopped for speeding. No ticket but I took his advice and the rain is just something you deal with if you're riding.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:26 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Every summer my wife and I (2up) take off on some kind of road trip for 8-10 days.
If it rains during the trip we put on the rain gear and keep riding.
If it's raining when we get up in the morning, we just go.

If we we're home and planned to just go out for a day ride on a weekend and woke up to rain, I'd probably pass on riding that day.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:29 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

It's like playing golf. Golf and motorcycling are done outdoors. Weather is part of the game.

However, as was stated above, there's a line, somewhere around lightning and rain so heavy that other vehicles on the road can't see you, and the risk of hydroplaning becomes too high to ignore. Then, you either don't leave or if you're already on the road, you park it.

Otherwise, off we go!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Slowmo
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, I'll be the first to admit it, I'm a big ole pansy. 75% of my riding is for pleasure and I don't enjoy riding in the rain. If it's a local day ride of 200-300 miles or so and the forecast calls for all day rain I probably won't go that day. If it's a 30% chance of scattered showers I'll go ahead and ride. When I use the bike to commute to work, I want to be clean and dry when I get to work, I don't mind getting wet on the way home though.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:37 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Life can be uncomfortable and dangerous enough, without going out of one's way to make it more so. That said, I've done it, and I don't enjoy it, not to mention cleaning the bike off later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions: Riding in the rain