General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Jose, CA area new member needs an accessory tester

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 03:37 PM
natnat
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Jose, CA area new member needs an accessory tester

Hi. My name is Nat Collins and I don't own a motorcycle. A service guy at the local San Jose, CA HD dealership recommended these forums to me to find Harley riders. I made a prototype accessory, and I'm looking for a local Harley rider to tell me what they think of it.

The accessory is an electronically controlled antenna that detects inductive loop sensors at intersections, and triggers them just like a car does so a rider doesn't get stuck at red lights. The product already exists for bicyclists (like me), and now I'm developing a few versions for motorcycles. One version attaches to the swing arm, so I need a Harley rider to let me install it and try it out for a couple of weeks.

Anyone interested? Let me know. Thanks. The closer you are to Santa Clara, CA, the better. My email address on gmail is "natcalifornia"

-Nat

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 06-01-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Business link removed.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:45 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

With Harleys pushing north of 900 pounds, maybe a better test would be an a mid size Honda or the like?

Good luck with your project.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:46 PM
diesel6060
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be willing to try it out. If you would like please PM me and we can discuss it. I live in the Sacramento are. I have this problem all the time.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:17 PM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Nat,

I haven't had any issues triggering the sensors with my Street Glide, but I do have that issue on my bicycle. I will check out your website for an accessory for my bicycle.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just checked out your website. It looks like the product can work well, but I'm not sure about the antenna loop. Just like how rear derailleur cables should not be too long so that it sticks out too far and catch things (like another cyclist's pedal), I'm concerned the antenna might catch things. Just an observation.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:29 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I have this trouble as well here.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Cheaper and easier to just call the jurisdiction that maintains the light and tell them your bike won't trip the light. They are obligated to make an adjustment.

Now hit the easy button!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:22 AM
natnat
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses everyone! Here are some replies.

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
With Harleys pushing north of 900 pounds, maybe a better test would be an a mid size Honda or the like?
I've already tested it on bikes and a Honda scooter. I need to test it on more and more models now, including ones mounted to a straigh, low-to-the-ground swing arm (which most Harleys have).

Originally Posted by Bikeagraman
I just checked out your website. It looks like the product can work well, but I'm not sure about the antenna loop. Just like how rear derailleur cables should not be too long so that it sticks out too far and catch things (like another cyclist's pedal), I'm concerned the antenna might catch things. Just an observation.
The antenna on the bicycle version is underneath the chainstay (a bicycle's swing arm), so it doesn't hit anything. If you don't have problems with people running into your chainstay or spokes (and I hope you don't!) the Veloloop will not have a problem. In two years of having various antennas under my bike, I have never caught anything in the antenna.
Originally Posted by lh4x4
Cheaper and easier to just call the jurisdiction that maintains the light and tell them your bike won't trip the light. They are obligated to make an adjustment.

Now hit the easy button!
Some people prefer to report problems as they find them. I have a friend like this, but he ordered a Veloloop because after testing it on his bicycle, he found that THIS was the easy way to deal with problem intersections, especially ones in locations he doesn't visit often.

Originally Posted by diesel6060
I would be willing to try it out. If you would like please PM me and we can discuss it. I live in the Sacramento are. I have this problem all the time.
Sacramento? I hope to find someone closer to Santa Clara, but if not, I'll let you know. Thanks!

So yes, everyone, I am still looking for a South Bay Harley rider to test out the version that mounts on a swing arm. I hope to hear from you. Thanks to everyone else for the comments!

-Nat