General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about paint color changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 04:52 AM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Questions about paint color changes

I was doing a little window shopping online when I found a bike on ebay with the prettiest shade of dark blue. Looks almost like a cobalt, royal,or navy blue. However I began to start thinking about it. I know that it was repainted cause in 97 that shade of blue never existed.
I started thinking about these questions:
What is the average cost to repaint a whole bike?
It it really cost effective to change the color vs the bikes value?
Is it really worth it?
Does changing the color different from the vin code/factory original affects the value in a positive,negative,or neutral way?
Doesn't changing the color differently from the vin code has some legal aspects as far as registration has any effect?

I'm certain that repairing the original paint is more cost effective but repainting a whole bike??? I just wasn't sure if its worth it unless the original paint was in bad shape (prolly rare to happen) or I really wanted it a different color. However if any one invested in new paint would there be any return in that investment upon resale?

Btw the bike in question is here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...m=201358892252

It a beautiful bike with that color(reminds me of my birthstone the sapphire and favorite color). The detail kinda set its sets it off or kinda flows with the bike and is quite subtle. If anyone know what color it really is please let me know. I may copy this bike if I ever hit the lottery in the far future.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:38 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Just get Vivid Black...The Fastest Color...
I think most folks look for the model they like then color is second.There are a few colors id never even look at as i hate the colors so id just keep looking and never consider them...
Repainting is a PITA and not cheap to get it done rite.Alot of
work,removing,sanding,priming,Repaint top coat(maybe 3-4 coats) and then clearcoat then Reinstalling.
First find the model(s) you like, then consider the color...
Personally id be a little leery of E-bay but thats me unless i went to look at the bike....
Watch Craigslist...Try to buy local...Shop bike and price and figure out what a good deal is then when the rite bike becomes available you will know rite away its a good deal and jump on it!!
I just saw an 05 Ultra,Garage Queen with less than 4K miles for $10K.....(Cherry)Black Cherry
Deals are out there...Shop for a deal...Just remember Grasshopper...Alot of other guys looking for the same thing!!!
Good Luck with your search!!!!!

Last edited by riteway; 05-29-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Paint schemes should be the least concern when purchasing a bike unless it's new and you have a choice of several colors. I would be more concerned with add ons and what's been doen to the motor/tranny. Key is that the tins can always be done up to the owners choice.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:30 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I'd bet you'd be in the region of $1500 to $2500 for a repaint depending on the bike (touring costs more than say a Sportster) and whether it's one or 2 colors and if you want pin stripes. More if you're going flames and skulls. Cheaper if you can take the bike apart yourself and reassemble it.

I asked my Indy to give me a ballpark figure on a Heritage in 2 tone and he said about $2000 and a couple weeks which would include dismantling the bike and putting it back together.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

What does a shade of blue that never existed before look like?

Old 05-29-2015, 08:39 AM
cbump
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Is anyone going to answer the questions or just talk about what to look for in a used bike?
I'd like to know too in case I ever want to change mine.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Painting the tank and fenders is going to cost a lot less than painting the tank, fenders, frame, floorboards, speedo dash, etc.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:32 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
I'd bet you'd be in the region of $1500 to $2500 for a repaint depending on the bike (touring costs more than say a Sportster)
...... whenever i've asked about repaint expense for a Road Glide w/ TP & Lowers, i hear about $4000.
..... Multi-stage paints likely more yet
........ which is why i'm awaiting the Moco's release of an RGU in the right color.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:40 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you sure it's not "Peace Officer Blue"?

They've been using that color every year for at least 11 years that I know of...Maybe more.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:53 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Honestly Joe if you REALLY care about the color...
Send the guy a message...

Quick Reply: Questions about paint color changes