General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle hauling options

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:05 PM
cbump
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Motorcycle hauling options

Going to Florida for 6 weeks this summer. I'll be hauling the camper behind the truck, wife will be driving the car. No one to drive the bike and I want it there with me.
So what are the best options for getting it there?

Here's what I have thought of:

Back of the truck (long bed) - worried about this option because I don't know how safe it will be to load and unload by myself. Going up and down the ramps seems risky and not sure where to find a hill to back up to.

Small single motorcycle specific trailer - buying a small trailer that can be pulled behind the car (Ford Focus). Would require me to have a receiver hitch installed on the car. Only issue here is in my short search, the trailers in the price I would be willing to spend (under $1000) have little baby tires and I'd have to keep it at 55mph. Plus, not even sure the car could pull a trailer.

Something like this behind the carhttp://hhauler.com/sitebuilder/images/Hauler_003-758x510.jpg
I'll leave it to y'all to tell me if this thing is safe for the bike or not.

Appreciate the help.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:20 PM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Check with the HD dealership in both locations and see if they have a loading dock you could use to get the bike on/off the truck.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by cbump
Going to Florida for 6 weeks this summer. I'll be hauling the camper behind the truck, wife will be driving the car. No one to drive the bike and I want it there with me.
So what are the best options for getting it there?

Here's what I have thought of:

___________________SNIP________________________

Something like this behind the carhttp://hhauler.com/sitebuilder/images/Hauler_003-758x510.jpg
I'll leave it to y'all to tell me if this thing is safe for the bike or not.

Appreciate the help.
I've heard horror stories about using one of those!

Old 05-29-2015, 08:31 PM
cbump
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sunderhill
Check with the HD dealership in both locations and see if they have a loading dock you could use to get the bike on/off the truck.
Good idea. Thanks

Old 05-29-2015, 09:02 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Trade the camper and get a Toyhauler!!!!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Gotta ask the obvious question:
Why do you need a truck, a car and a motorcycle for just 6 weeks?

Last edited by Jonesee; 05-29-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:09 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

I think i missed what bike you have but doesnt really matter but if you do have something like a Sporty then putting it in the back of your truck is an EZ option. If you have a Bagger then i would consider a trailer for the car.
One option is you could rent one from Uhaul.Just for Bikes..I have a Duel Kendon that i have had two Baggers on and handles very nice.You can also get a single and might find one used on C-list.These trailers are VERY popular! If you decide to go this route you should always be able to sell with no problem when you are done with it.
http://www.kendonusa.com
If you decide to put a hitch on the car and you have a Pep Boys local they sell and install hitches and they were just running a deal were if you buy the hitch from them they will install for free.
Good Luck...Tell us what you decide...
You dont say were in Texas you are but here is a Kendon single in Houston..Just FYI...Give you an Idea..
https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4956724967.html

Last edited by riteway; 05-29-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:14 PM
cbump
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Why do you need a truck, car and a motorcycle for just 6 weeks?
Truck to pull the camper, car because we have to make two trips home during the six weeks plus it's easier to get around town in than the truck, motorcycle because I don't want to spend the summer without my new bike.
Why do you ask?

Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 PM
cbump
Cruiser

Originally Posted by riteway
I think i missed what bike you have but doesnt really matter but if you do have something like a Sporty then putting it in the back of your truck is an EZ option. If you have a Bagger then i would consider a trailer for the car.
One option is you could rent one from Uhaul.Just for Bikes..I have a Duel Kendon that i have had two Baggers on and handles very nice.You can also get a single and might find one used on C-list.These trailers are VERY popular! If you decide to go this route you should always be able to sell with no problem when you are done with it.
http://www.kendonusa.com
If you decide to put a hitch on the car and you have a Pep Boys local they sell and install hitches and they were just running a deal were if you buy the hitch from them they will install for free.
Good Luck...Tell us what you decide...
You dont say were in Texas you are but here is a Kendon single in Houston..Just FYI...Give you an Idea..
https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4956724967.html
Thanks for the ideas riteway. The bike is a fatboy lo.
I'll look into the haul option. Didn't know they had that.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Put it in the back of the bed. Check the local HD dealer, or any warehouse they usually have a dock to unload it.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle hauling options