General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque cones

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 03:22 AM
DayzedAndKunfoozed
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torque cones

My bike has open pipes . I bought a really nice set that was identical that had like new baffles in them but it caused way too much restriction without re-jetting the carb and I watched the pipes scorch right in front of my eyes. Anyhow I pulled the baffles back out and what I found was the factory screaming eagle baffles are plugs not much flow to em, and was wondering about the torque cones. Do they make much of a difference when added to the open pipes? Mind you the carb has been jetted to compensate the open pipes and it sounds good on the trailing end of the throttle, nice and even sound with no popping around and such. Should I put in a set of cones? Is there a noticeable difference in pick up as they claim?

Old 05-30-2015, 04:13 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 3,057 Posts

No. Back when we owned a bike shop we sponsored a drag bike (2001 ProStar Hot Rod Cruiser Class.) We had the Dyna up on the Dyno for the better part of a day running different combinations of pipes, jetting etc.

The absolute worst pipe were open drags for low end power and when we installed torque cones just for the hell of it, the results didn't change. (The sound was slightly different but not the power output.)

Old 05-30-2015, 05:56 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,918 Likes on 3,019 Posts

If your trying to get back your bottom end. Without baffles try lollipops. And they're adjustable after they're in. Google it if you've never heard of them, might be a YouTube video too.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:58 AM
jurgie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DayzedAndKunfoozed
My bike has open pipes . I bought a really nice set that was identical that had like new baffles in them but it caused way too much restriction without re-jetting the carb and I watched the pipes scorch right in front of my eyes. Anyhow I pulled the baffles back out and what I found was the factory screaming eagle baffles are plugs not much flow to em, and was wondering about the torque cones. Do they make much of a difference when added to the open pipes? Mind you the carb has been jetted to compensate the open pipes and it sounds good on the trailing end of the throttle, nice and even sound with no popping around and such. Should I put in a set of cones? Is there a noticeable difference in pick up as they claim?
I ran then in a sportster with samson long shots with know baffles. B ike strong . I had a s@s super e I think I had to re jet also

Old 05-30-2015, 07:39 AM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 623 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
If your trying to get back your bottom end. Without baffles try lollipops. And they're adjustable after they're in. Google it if you've never heard of them, might be a YouTube video too.
+1 Check out DK Customs thunder torque inserts (Site sponsor) I removed my baffles and installed them..love the results,,great sound also

Old 05-30-2015, 07:55 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
The lollipop/torque insert does help bring back bottom and mid-range performance by reducing reversion in the pipe, I've been using the DK Custom Torque Inserts in several different pipes and do like how they work, better low's and mid's and the exhaust takes on a deeper tone. The design of the pipe does play a role in how effective the TTI's/torque cones/lollipops are, when I was running them on V&H Big Radius pipes the change in performance was smaller but still with a better tone, using them on Big Shots Staggered the change in low and mid performance and tone was more dramatic.

This is the latest install on a '13 Wide Glide, W158's in V&H Big Shots Staggered with no baffles. Using a Power Vision I ran her with the baffles in then installed the TTI's, the difference in performance and exhaust tone was quite noticeable, it's a simple old idea that still works, give them a try and see what you think, you may very well have some decent results

Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts
Old 05-30-2015, 01:10 PM
DayzedAndKunfoozed
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys I sure do appreciate it and Big Cahunas video taught me a lot and now I'm definitely scratching my head a bit. After watching that , seems like I need to jet the carb back down a bit and put the baffles back in. What I started out doing was trying to quiet it down a skosh , it is a bit rude. I got all the right parts just need to get it configured proper and i'll have it huhh? I also wanted to add these aren't 2 separate open drag pipes I have it's the screaming eagle pipes which came stock on this bike and they have that hidden little crossover. Not sure if that makes any difference but thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited by DayzedAndKunfoozed; 05-30-2015 at 01:22 PM.