General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N filter v. Arlen Ness Big Sucker

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:36 PM
razor02
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N filter v. Arlen Ness Big Sucker

So ive been looking to do a stage one upgrade to my 15 iron and I'm having trouble deciding on what AC to go with. I've already got a new exhaust system and tuner on the way. My question is which way offers the most performance, putting the K&N filter into the original housing or getting a whole new setup such as the arlen ness big sucker? I really like the Screamin eagle heavy breather as well but is the extra $ really worth it? If anyone could get me some advise as to which setup works the best I'd appreciate it!

Old 05-31-2015, 11:14 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

See my signature.

As for performance, I can't say, I never ran the other A/C. My main reason for getting the heavy breather was, if I was going to change it, I wanted it to show it wasn't a stock A/C. And most of the ones out there, look like they're stock. I actually didn't like the heavy breather when I first saw it.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:42 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by razor02
So ive been looking to do a stage one upgrade to my 15 iron and I'm having trouble deciding on what AC to go with. I've already got a new exhaust system and tuner on the way. My question is which way offers the most performance, putting the K&N filter into the original housing or getting a whole new setup such as the arlen ness big sucker? I really like the Screamin eagle heavy breather as well but is the extra $ really worth it? If anyone could get me some advise as to which setup works the best I'd appreciate it!

As far as performance goes between just the K&N filter and the AN Big sucker, the Big Sucker would preform better. As for the cost on the SE, opinions will vary. However, if you are wanting even better performance you could go with a Free Flowing Air Cleaner like the Outlaw 587 or the 636v. These air cleaners vent externally, this way all of the hot, dry, oily air doesn't get back in. Engines like cool dry air.

Below you can see the difference routing externally makes, the pictures are of a twin cam engine but will be the same concept with your sportster. Hope this helps you out

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 06-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Outlaw is awesome. I get a lot of compliments. Customer service is excellent, performance is unmatched!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:51 PM
razor02
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses! DK I'm loving the look of your ACs, especially the skull cover. I'm glad I found this because these are exactly what I was looking for. I'll be ordering one of yours for sure, just gotta decide between the 636v or the 587

Old 06-04-2015, 11:14 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor

Thumper 09

Thanks for the comment

Razor02

You are most welcome. Anything is a hard choice when it comes to your harley Let us know which one you go with, i agree with you on that one skull is a nice one!

Kelsey

Old 06-09-2015, 08:40 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom - ST
As far as performance goes between just the K&N filter and the AN Big sucker, the Big Sucker would preform better. As for the cost on the SE, opinions will vary. However, if you are wanting even better performance you could go with a Free Flowing Air Cleaner like the Outlaw 587 or the 636v. These air cleaners vent externally, this way all of the hot, dry, oily air doesn't get back in. Engines like cool dry air.

Below you can see the difference routing externally makes, the pictures are of a twin cam engine but will be the same concept with your sportster. Hope this helps you out

Kelsey

If the oil vents externally where does it go? Will it disperse on my leg?

Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

If you are wanting extra performance from your air cleaner, don't just put a k&n in the stock housing or get a stage 1 intake. You won't notice any performance gains with either of those.

Get a more open air cleaner like the outlaw ones from dk or get a heavy breather.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:55 PM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 276 Posts

I have the 587 and love it. Great service also, very helpful. Just messaged Kevin late last night about a question I had and answered quickly and precisely. You won't be disappointed, love the tank lift also on mine.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:04 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tr1Rid3r
If the oil vents externally where does it go? Will it disperse on my leg?

It will not disperse on your leg, it will go back into the atmosphere instead of back in your bike

Kelsey

Quick Reply: K&N filter v. Arlen Ness Big Sucker