General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Carburetor kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Smartbass
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Carburetor kit

I am getting my carb rejetted I have a stock carb on a 2000 dyna 88ci I was told to use the CV kit also that it would be better than a dyna tune kit anyone know of these CV kits?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:00 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

I've had 4 motors built 100HP or more using CV's with stock CV jets. I'm not a believer in any of the aftermarket carb stuff; OK if you are an inveterate tinkerer or an independent shop trying to upsell for a buck, but nothing is necessary other than someone who knows carbs and has a stock jet kit. Period. Just my opinion based on what I've experienced...

Old 06-02-2015, 10:52 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Smartbass
I am getting my carb rejetted I have a stock carb on a 2000 dyna 88ci I was told to use the CV kit also that it would be better than a dyna tune kit anyone know of these CV kits?
I assume you're talking about one of the CV performance tuner/ or rejet kits. I haven't used one myself, but they seem to provide what you need to get the job done, and many here have used them and provided positive comments.

http://www.cv-performance.com/

I would not use the Dynojet kit. They generally give poor performance and mileage, and utilize non-stock jets (threaded for their emulsion tube and sized/numbered differently).

Sharkey is correct, you can rejet with only a few stock HD parts (main jet, slow jet, and needle), but some of the parts are no longer available...so CV Performance provides a good alternative.

Be careful changing springs and enlarging the slide vacuum hole. It's usually not needed, and can lead to problems.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Yep what they said above!!!! There is a good write about jetting a cv here

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/carbu...ggestions.html

Old 06-02-2015, 05:41 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

I used to build some of the best CV carbs around. No brag. Just a lot of work and patience. I never used any of the kits. Since the carbs are/were used on several different brands of bikes, there is no reason for any of the parts to be hard to come by.

This is all you need to know. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

I took it a step further and took the carb down to the barest I could get. Then I deburred and polished every thing I could get next to. Don't get carried away. You are only removing the minor casting marks and polishing the ports. Trust me, it makes a huge difference. Be very careful with the screws, both removing and replacing them. They are made of a soft metal and the wrong screwdriver size or a little too much torque can ruin your day. If you are heavy handed, in any area of this build, don't do it. Or at least have a spare carb available.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:20 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had great luck with the cv but I just found the mukuni to be better theres a fast port for jet changes and a jet change takes 1 min with a hand tool...the mukuni is set right out of the box..the cv is great but u have to mess with it the mukuni u just slap on if not it's 60 sec jet change

Old 06-02-2015, 07:49 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

May I make another suggestion . Google Joe Minton : carb tuning. I've used his methods and cost me less than $15.00 when I modded my carb on the 02 Dyna.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:43 AM
mrstoney
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
May I make another suggestion . Google Joe Minton : carb tuning. I've used his methods and cost me less than $15.00 when I modded my carb on the 02 Dyna.
I agree with this. The only mod I did to the carb on my TC88 was swapping the stock needle for the CV Performance needle and the mixture screw adjustment. This was after a Ness Big Sucker intake and slip on mufflers. Bike runs great.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 AM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstoney
I agree with this. The only mod I did to the carb on my TC88 was swapping the stock needle for the CV Performance needle and the mixture screw adjustment. This was after a Ness Big Sucker intake and slip on mufflers. Bike runs great.
All it took for mine was a washer under the stock needle, 46 slow jet , and I put the thumb screw mixture adjustment. Bike runs great!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:14 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Yup agree, no need for those fancy tuning kits. Just buy a few main jets and a few pilot jets . Then pop the plug on the mixture screw and knock yourself out lol!

Quick Reply: CV Carburetor kit