General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General discussion -- Zumo GPS, Sena SMH-10 headset, and cellphone

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts
Default General discussion -- Zumo GPS, Sena SMH-10 headset, and cellphone

I have a Harley Sportster 2014 Superlow 1200T cycle with the Zumo 665 mount. Having a GPS is important to me, as I don't like getting lost here in Southern California. So when I bought my Sportster I wanted the best GPS setup I could manage.

I actually was able to snag an extra Garmin 665 unit as a spare. Over the past year I have been getting this unit figured out, and I thought it might help someone out there if I posted my various (not very ingenious) findings in one place. Alternatively, if someone out there has a better way of doing things, let me know as I am still learning.

1. Setting up Zumo 665 to Sena SMH-10 and iPhone 6 Plus for GPS and MP3 music.

As I explained in an earlier post, the best way that I have found to do this is to: a) Bluetooth connect the Zumo to the iPhone; and b) then connect the Sena SMH-10 to the Zumo.

A. When connecting the Zumo to the iPhone, connect the iPhone to the "Phone" setting in the Zumo Bluetooth menu. (Obvious, but what I'm saying is do not connect the iPhone to "Audio" which is the other option.)

B. When connecting the Zumo to the Sena, you want to connect it to the Sena as though it were a cellphone on the Sena menu. This will ensure that you get stereo. See Section 6.1 in the Sena menu, which explains that when pairing as a cellphone you are also pairing as a stereo device. This is done (as explained in the Sena menu) by first pressing the phone button for about 5 seconds until pairing occurs.

By following the above procedure, you will get your phone book on your Zumo menu, and you can stream MP3 to your Sena headset in stereo. Occasionally on my units it will initially pair as mono. When this happens, rebooting the Zumo always re-pairs as stereo. Beats me why this is.

The above approach allows you to use your iPhone as a phone, listen to your Zumo's MP3 playlists, and receive turn-by-turn instructions from the Zumo's GPS via the Sena headset. The only downside is that you cannot listen to your iPhone music through the Sena when paired in this fashion. I have tried pairing the Zumo and the iPhone both to the Sena, and it only works on a hit-or-miss basis. After many months of trying I concluded that this method simply cannot be done reliably. So I connect the iPhone to the Zumo as the phone, and the Sena to the Zumo as "Audio" per the above.

2. Boot up "Splash" screen.

For a long time I did not realize that it is super easy to change the boot up screen on the Zumo. All you need to do is import, via the USB cable, whatever JPEG you want to use for your boot-up screen. I wanted a Harley Davidson logo, so I googled "Harley Davidson graphics" and lots of cool stuff came up. I downloaded the images and cut-and-pasted them into the Zumo JPEG folder on my Zumo's Micro SD Card. To select the boot-up "Splash" image of your choice, simply go to Picture Viewer in the Zumo, select the desired JPEG image, and if you want it for your "Default Splash Screen" (boot-up image) simply check the box as the prompt indicates. Incidentally, if you delete the selected image from the SD card it still boots up with the last image until you change it.

3. Micro SD Card discussion.

Every Zumo user will want a Micro SD Card for their Zumo. The internal storage of the Zumo is nearly maxed out on my units just with the default files and the North American maps. In my experience 32GB Micro SD Cards work fine, but 64GB cards do not work -- the Zumo cannot see them. For me, 32GB seems to be the biggest card that you can use.

Some users have complained that when receiving turn-by-turn instructions and listening to MP3s, that the Zumo shuts off. I had this happen to me. The cure appears to be to use a VERY FAST Micro SD card. I have found that using the EXTREME Micro SD Card by Sandisk that I do not have the shut-down problem. I am imagining that the shut down occurs when the card simply cannot keep up with the Zumo's requirements.

Well, anyway, these are my discoveries playing around with the Zumo 665, iPhone, and Sena SMH-10. Maybe this little missive will help someone. Comments welcome.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:41 PM
wantabeach
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great information. just my setup. I'm about to purchase a zumo 660 and have an iphone 6 and sena 10. I usually stream music from my iphone and use iphone maps. Not great and no touch screen with gloves. How to you get music from your computer to the micro sd?

paul

Old 04-02-2021, 09:30 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

This thread is almost 6 yrs old. Bah bye........

Old 04-02-2021, 09:35 AM
Robb M.
Internet Brands
Received 1,093 Likes on 629 Posts

still a valid question though?

Old 04-04-2021, 07:37 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb M.
still a valid question though?
YES it is. I am calling this one "my bad" and re-opened this thread. Also tagging the 2 chaps that have interest in this thread.

Ok guys............Go For It! Sry abt the thread closing. ENJOY!!!

@wantabeach @Neggy ZRXOA 5248

Old 04-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

For those wondering how to get MP files onto the GPS Micro SD card, the easiest way to do it is to put your card into the laptop where the music files are and copy & paste them, or use file explorer to move them onto the card, then put the card back into the Zumo. The memory card has to have a FOLDER labeled MP3 for the Zumo to find where the music is, so make sure you move the MP3 files into a folder that is named MP3

Personally I create MP3 folder on my PC inside another folder called ZUMO, and that is where I save a copy of the files and when I want to add a song I put it in there and eventually I update the file on the Zumo

The Garmin website has these instructions: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...o01tlI9YgQASL6

Last edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248; 04-05-2021 at 10:44 AM.