LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

LiveWire Livewire conversion

Old 07-04-2015, 02:30 PM
james4b
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Livewire conversion

Just read about Harleys decision not to produce the Livewire electric motorcycle. I'm not a fan of electric motorcycles simply because of their range and charge times. However I am still a big Buell fan and have never gotten over their decision to drop the only Harley sport bike made. They were great bikes powered by a real motor so a guy had the best of both worlds. Hey Harley big shot decision makers, when I want to cruise I hop on my 48 and cruise. When I want to ride hard and have serious fun I hop on my Kawasaki Versys because you no longer make Buells. Pull your heads out of your @$$&$ and stuff that new 750 motor into the Livewire chassis so we can have our Harley sportbike again. And hurry up because I'm 40 now and not getting any younger.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Maccam26
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Funny post.. but it is a nice chassis the livewire, tried it last year In florida

Old 07-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Where did you read that? I read that it was delayed with no mention that they were not going to produce them eventually.

http://fortune.com/2015/06/01/harley...ry-motorcycle/

Old 07-04-2015, 04:49 PM
james4b
Intermediate

I read it here www.hdforums.com/articles/cant-harley-davidson-build-livewire/. In short, Harley says it would cost $50,000 a piece to build but it appears they do not want to upset the core customers. I can understand that but it's a shame to have such talented designers and builders that could bring a sport oriented Harley to life but are held back. I have a feeling that Polaris will be the first to come out with a American made sport/naked bike since they always show more willingness to break new ground. That new Indian Scout motor would make a great start. I'm thinking a Confederate Hellcat type chassis that still shows it's cruiser roots but lighter and more sport oriented. Make it under $15,000 with a warranty and I'm there.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:55 PM
pointcrossed
Advanced

I test rode it when they came into town, and it was awesome, I want one.

For them not to come out with this bike will definitely give me a negative impression of HD.

If they don't come out with it, or its not better than the demo, will only make my decision that much easier in getting the Zero.

If they dont fix all the issues with the Rushmore bikes, my 15 RGS will be my last HD, I wont look back. There are too many bike manufacturers out there to be stuck to one that wont innovate.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Last I heard, they were waiting for improved battery technology so that the bike would have a more realistic range per charge before they put the livewire into production.

There is no way in hell it would cost $50k to produce ONE Livewire production bike. There are completely battery operated cars for under $20k. With an improved battery, I imagine the MOCO could produce Livewires for low enough cost to set an MSRP no higher than 10-12k.

They would be foolish not to. The "core" base is not getting any younger and in a handful of years, it won't matter if you "**** them off" or not because many will be dead or too old to ride. If the MOCO wants to thrive after the boomers are dead, producing one of the first powerful electric motorcycles would go a long way in building and expanding their customer base amongst Gen Xers and Millennials.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

And why would a Mod bury this thread in a sub-forum that is impossible to find and that no one goes to? Perfectly reasonable and appropriate to leave this thread in the General Harley Chat forum.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:24 PM
pointcrossed
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colorido
And why would a Mod bury this thread in a sub-forum that is impossible to find and that no one goes to? Perfectly reasonable and appropriate to leave this thread in the General Harley Chat forum.
Lets not upset the "core" demographic...

Old 07-04-2015, 09:55 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Was wondering where it went. Oh well

Old 08-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 493 Posts

I'm currently installing electric propulsion on boats, each 100 amp/hrs lithium ion phosphate battery is over 5 grand, that's not the lithium ion which are double that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LiveWire Livewire conversion