General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forced to sell my '14 Limited....When?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 05:46 AM
Mello03
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forced to sell my '14 Limited....When?

Guys I'm looking for some advice. I unfortunately will have to sell my new to me '14 Limited that I just purchased in May. It was just the worst timing ever in hindsight, as literally 2 weeks after I brought it home my wife finds out she is pregnant with our first child. She's due at the end of January. I bought it so we could take some trips and see the sights but she won't ride (and I think it's a great choice) pregnant. I need to get rid of the bike so I can take over her bills while she is out of work for an unforeseen amount of time. She's a private personal trainer so no leave, benefits, etc. We weren't expecting to get pregnant as I'm 40 and she's 35 and I haven't gotten one past the goalie in 10 years......so.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should ride until the spring and sell then or sell now when everone has the fever to buy? I'm thinking if the 16s come out with some nice upgrades I'll take more of a hit and it'll be two model years older. But, if I kind of want to enjoy it for a while and take the chance selling it in the spring. What would you all do placed in my situation? I just put a new seat and Yaffe bars on it so I've put 1000-1500 bucks into it to get it right in the last couple months.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:59 AM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats on the first child!

The 16's will be coming out in the next month or so. I doubt there will be many major upgrades though. I don't think you would take a major hit in price waiting until next spring as you've probably already lost a majority of your value just rolling it out of the dealer.

You are probably looking at a private sale to minimize your losses. A dealer is going to rape you more than likely.. LOL. Do you see yourself buying another one in the next couple years? If so maybe look at someone making payments on it and 'leasing' it to them for a year or so? Would have to be someone you would trust obviously.

I guess it comes down to if you own or not and if you plan on buying another relatively soon. Not sure you can even answer that at this point.

Touch call! Good luck!

Old 07-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Mello03
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I actually bought it used so I haven't taken a big hit on it from a depreciation standpoint. I hope the 16s don't change much either, especially a 110 standard.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:25 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the same decision to make 24 years ago with our first child. Sold the toys, bought a mini van. Sigh...... Just sell it now. It is only 1 year old with low miles. After January it is 2 year old and if there is a big model change with the 2016's it will be down further in value.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,296 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Congratulations!

My thought is if you wait until next spring the dealers will have all their rental fleet of 14's and 15's with 10 -20k miles on them for sale.
Good Luck

Old 07-06-2015, 08:39 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 289 Posts

IMO - Sell now - July to Sep time of year.

Oct to Feb - Winter

Mar next year - new Blue Book amounts compiled.

Congrats on family.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 AM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My advice is not to sell it. You bought it, so enjoy it. Nothing in life is guaranteed (other than death and taxes). I bought my first bike when my kids were 8 and 12 years of age. And I didn't leave them mother-less. I think you're having a knee-jerk reaction to the unexpected good news. Especially at your age (40)--it's not like you're a young, whipper-snapper carving the corners on your Ninja, right? Why don't you start planning a trip about a year from now, get a babysitter for the weekend and take your wife on a romantic, biker weekend. By then she'll be sick of the whole "gotta be a Mom" thing anyway.

The following users liked this post:
stanley88 (08-16-2022)
Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you need to sell because of making a payment -- then start doing it now -- still good weather and if you get the right offer, take it. At least at this point in time, its not mandatory to sell.

Congratulations on the new family member coming. A friend once told me that everyone should wait until they are 40 before having kids.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:30 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Agree with OwnerofHarriet on listing the bike for sale now (if you really intend to sell it), and see what kind of responses to your listing price that you get. You don't have to accept just any offer.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:37 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,178 Likes on 11,108 Posts

Keep the bike, you will want to ride to get away from the baby occasionally.
Just because the OL can't or won't ride, doesn't mean you can't.
Payments can be made by cutting other expenses. No more Starbucks, no more eating out, take a bag lunch to work, no movies, no vacations are a few suggestions.
You will take a big loss if you try to sell your bike now.

Quick Reply: Forced to sell my '14 Limited....When?